Dr. D. Love, Doctor
Experience:  Family Physician for 10 years; Hospital Medical Director for 10 years.
21597572

I had some testing questions if possible. Yes, I had a

Customer Question

Good morning, I had some testing questions if possible.
JA: Have you had any blood work done that the doctor should know about?
Customer: Yes, I had a sexual encounter with an x boyfriend August 15, 2016 and got a HSV 1 & HSV2 test along with HIV 4th generation antigen/antibody test.
JA: Is this your first time reaching out for information about this?
Customer: I got tested Sept 30 :the results were as followed HSV 1+ .15 and HSV 2= .55, and HIV negative. . I followed up November 4 with a oral quick test which showed negative. Are these good test windows?
JA: Is there anything else you would like the hiv doctor to know?
Customer: No
Submitted: 27 days ago.
Category: HIV and AIDS
Expert:  Dr. D. Love replied 27 days ago.

Hello from JustAnswer. This is Dr. Love and I will be assisting you today.

This is a good test window for HIV, but not complete for HSV. Both of these tests are antibody tests, and while some people form antibodies quickly, it can take up to 12 weeks (or about three months) for everyone that will detect antibodies to become positive.

The 4th generation HIV test is better at early detection because it also has an antigen component, so the 4th generation HIV test on Sept 30th wold detect 90-95% of people, but it is not perfect, which is why repeat testing is recommended, which you have done. The Oraquick test is not as accurate as the 4th generation blood test, but that is true at any point in time. From the perspective of the window, the repeat testing on Nov 4th is slightly less than 12 weeks, but that is not enough to raise issue with the test window.

The HSV blood tests are specific for IgG antibodies, and these are the slowest for form, so the early HSV test is not as accurate as the early HIV test, although it will still detect many people. However, the HSV IgG antibody test also should be repeated at about 3 months to be fully accurate. So, the test window for the HSV tests would be the only issue in this situation.

A strong argument can be made that it is unnecessary to perform further HSV testing, but that is for a different reason than the test window. The current recommendations are that performing blood testing for HSV in the general population without symptoms is not recommended. If this partner/ex-boyfriend is known to be HSV positive, that may warrant further discussion. But if he is simply of unknown HSV status, testing would not be recommended. It may be a different discussion if you are entering into a long-term mutually monogamous relationship and if you get pregnant at some point in the future. But testing solely because of a sexual encounter with someone of unknown HSV status is not currently recommended.

So, the recommendation for testing is dependent upon the situation, not whether the test window was good.

If I can provide any additional information, please let me know.

Expert:  Dr. D. Love replied 26 days ago.

Please let me know if I can provide any further assistance.