imdr06
imdr06, Doctor (MD/DO)
Experience:  I am a certified HIV Specialist/Physician as well as board-certified Internist. I have a large HIV practice.
37530465

I had a possible HIV exposure on 9-29-16. Developed shingles

Customer Question

I had a possible HIV exposure on 9-29-16. Developed shingles by 10-3-16. I have taken 8 oraquick tests all negative. On the 28th day i took a 4th generation DUO test and it came back negative. Can i trust this as conclusive?
Category: HIV and AIDS
Expert:  Dr. Captain replied 5 months ago.

Hello!

Welcome to the JustAnswer.com question/answer interface.

I am a Family Medicine doctor, board certified with active licenses and certification in Internal Medicine, Pediatrics, Obstetrics and Gynecology, as well as Integrative Medicine & Naturopathy, with advanced training in Neurology, Cardiovascular Medicine, Gastroenterology, Endocrinology, and Psychiatry. I am also well-trained in Functional Medicine..

For your review, here is my direct link with my current ratings from patients like you: http://www.justanswer.com/medical/expert-familydoctor/

I have read your post and question.

Would you prefer a summary answer to your question, or would you prefer more back-and-forth, where there will be a series of more questions and more details clarified? There is no difference in charges for your preference.

Either way, I’ll do my best to take the appropriate time to help you.

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
I prefer it yo be back and forth if possible?

of course! you got it.

where did you get these tests, the oraquick and DUO tests?

were they offered in a clinic, or at home testing?

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
i had a possible exposure on 9/29/16 develooed shingles by 10/3/16. I have had 8 oraquick tests all negative and a 4th grn duo test negative after 1 month

I understand.

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
2 oraquick in office 6 at home. 4th gen duo test at planned parenthood by nurse

I see, thank you. that's helpful.

To answer your direct question, yes, these results seem trustworthy.

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
My pleasure i am so concerned

The question underlying your question, I imagine, is whether this means you have HIV or not. can you trust them to determine the usefulness of the tests to see if you have HIV

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
sir. The most in paticular test is the 4th generation duo test done at exactly 1 month

Honestly, all of these tests are good tests for infection, but there are times when the infection has a window period, during which it is not detectable by tests such as these. 1 month is a good amount of time, but we sometimes see infections that lay dormant, or don't show up on testing, for up several months.

I think it's exceedingly unlikely that you have HIV, based on what you've described.

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
I have seen that the 4th gen DUO test is good at 28 days. CDC says windoe period is 2 to 6 weeks
Customer: replied 5 months ago.
if i was having symptoms associated with ARS wouldnt i test positive if having said symptoms for 1 month?
Customer: replied 5 months ago.
Ok.

no - those symptoms wouldn't impact the testing.

the CDC guideline is based on some older data, and although it is still true of most infections, there are some strains that are dormant for longer periods of time. Again, exceedingly unlikely.

If I were to recommend, I'd suggest one final antibody assay and a western blot at 6 months and be fully assured.

If you have no further questions, If you would, please click on EXCELLENT with 5 stars. My goal is to have only the best, ***** ***** patients, and I'm eager to continue answering your questions until you feel like you have received 5-star service. Any other ratings suggest something was wrong and the doctor has not tried to offer you a chance for improvements.

If you’re satisfied with the above, I thank you for the question! And hopefully I'll see you again soon. If you’d like to connect with me again, please save my direct link: http://www.justanswer.com/medical/expert-familydoctor/