Dr. Ravoof
Dr. Ravoof, Doctor
Experience:  Experienced Physician in the field of Medicine and Surgery.
17799485

October of 2015 I had unprotected sex (only time I've ever

Customer Question

Hi there October of 2015 I had unprotected sex (only time I've ever done this). Dec of 2016 I developed hives all over my body for no reason, dr checked my liver everything was fine. March of 2016 I got a flu that lasted about 3 days with a minor fever.
I had blood work done in summer of 2015 my lymphocytes were 2.4, when I got my liver checked 2 months after having sex they dropped to 1.3, then in April I had more blood work done and they went up to 1.7.
Also in April of 2016 I started getting like chills or goosebumps for no reason and I'm still getting that sometimes, and for the last couple of weeks I've felt like I've been getting sick, but it doesn't actually come through. My throat has been sore and I feel it in my ears and my lymph nodes in my throats feel a little swollen and I've been pretty fatigued. I know the only way to know for sure is too get tested but I'm so scared this could be hiv.
Submitted: 1 month ago.
Category: HIV and AIDS
Expert:  Dr. Ravoof replied 1 month ago.

Dear customer,

Thank you for your question.

Basically HIV is diagnosed only by the tests and not by symptoms since each symptom may have a number of possible causes. It is natural to worry if one gets the thought that she could be infected with HIV, and also due to the worry and anxiety one can have many symptoms. Also one can have a coincidental viral infection such as a common cold and worry whether this is due to HIV.

Regarding symptoms, one of the the earliest symptom of HIV infection is persistent generalized lymphadenopathy (swollen/enlarged lymph nodes). Early HIV infection can cause a range of symptoms, and as many as 90% of those diagnosed with HIV will have experienced usually within the first 4 weeks of initial exposure to the virus one or more of the following symptoms: fever, rash, headache, feeling generally unwell, aches and pains, mouth ulcers, sore throat, night sweats, weight loss, tiredness, swollen glands, and neurological symptoms like meningitis. The above mentioned symptoms usually appear a few days to a few weeks after exposure to HIV and can persists for two to four weeks, although the swollen glands may last longer. So even symptomatically in your case HIV is not likely to be the causative factor.

You don't even know whether your partner has HIV or not. So you are just assuming the worst.

The only solution to your worries is getting tested and to do the test even if you afraid. This will give you peace of mind so that you can put this behind you and move on with your life.

Take care.

It is a privilege answering your question.

Thank you.

Please let me know if you have further queries or unanswered questions.

Please rate the answer with a positive rating of 5 stars, because this is the only way we experts are credited and compensated for our time and work.

Wishing you all the very best in life.

May you be happy, successful, and healthy.

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
because I'm having swollen nymph after a year, it's likely not from hiv? I didn't get sick until 4 moths later.
I realize that the only way for me to know is to get the test.
I've never experienced a sore throat that I feel in my ears before with no other symptoms besides fatigue.
Of course if you go on line the first thing that come up is hiv, so that doesn't help.
With my lymphocytes dropping like that is that a bad sign or can that happen?

Dear customer,

Thank you for your question.

Lymphocytes can decrease for a number of reasons and this does not mean that you are infected with HIV. Please don't believe the frightening articles available online since this is not the way a doctor approaches a symptom.

If you are an anxious person please read the below linked book since this will be very helpful to you:
https://www.amazon.com/Things-Might-Terribly-Horribly-Wrong/dp/1572247118
Also please do mindfulness practice for a few minutes every day. Use the guided audios below:
https://health.ucsd.edu/specialties/mindfulness/programs/mbsr/Pages/audio.aspx
You will benefit more if you also consult a therapist. Make sure that the therapist is experienced in cognitive behavior therapy (CBT) and and acceptance and commitment therapy (ACT).

Take care.

Thank you.
Wishing you all the very best in life.

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
I'm sorry I just saw I didn't rate you! I'll do that now.
I went to the dr because my throat got worse. They did blood work my lymphocytes were at 2.0 but my neutrophils were at 1.2. I was told before that it's the lymphocytes that are affected by hiv, but I just read online that it affects neutrophils. Is that true? Or is it because I have a cold?