Dr. khagihara
Dr. khagihara, medical doctor
Experience:  trained in multiple medical fields

I was just undergoing a CT-scan which included an IV. The IV

Customer Question

I was just undergoing a CT-scan which included an IV. The IV was taped into my arm.
Early in the procedure, the technician had his bare (ungloved) hand touching the IV site (over the tape) when pressure from the fluid being pumped into me caused the the connector to leak and spray out the solution tinged with my blood.
The IV remained buried in my arm throughout this but if the connector was open and if he tech had a cut on his hand (and was HIV +) am I at risk of contracting anything?
Submitted: 1 month ago.
Category: HIV and AIDS
Expert:  Dr. khagihara replied 1 month ago.

The fluid was leaking out from the connection. The blood from his cut can't enter in the tube. You don't need to worry about it. Reassured.

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
How could fluid leak out but none be allowed to flow in to me? The fluid that leaked out was the IV contrast mixed with some of my blood.

Anything does not go into your blood. You do not need to worry about any infection.