Neuro Doctor
Neuro Doctor, Neurologist (MD)
Experience:  American Board Certified Neurologist, Internal Medicine
56178413

I'm very worried I have hiv. I was with a blk man 5 yrs ago

Customer Question

Hi, I'm very worried I have hiv. I was with a blk man 5 yrs ago unprotected and rumor was he had hiv. When I confronted him he was wierd about it and left town. He said he didn't but told someone else he did have it. In 2011 i had a rapid finger poke blood test at 4 weeks and 8 weeks and couldn't take it anymore. I was searching the internet like a mad person and came across Dr HHH saying 8 weeks is good for testing, so I stopped. I had symptoms like swollen lymph nodes, soreness, a bump on my neck that stayed for like a year, lymph nodes bothered me for along time to. Anyways a few yrs later I took an oraquick home test 2 times and it was negitive. 5 yrs later im getting skin conditions and I think a yeast infection that I treated with over the counter stuff, I have never had one before and I'm 41 yrs old and have always been in good health. I see there is a 1 and 12 chance that negatives may be false on the oraquick can I believe this or should i go get a blood test asap? Thanks for your time.
Category: HIV and AIDS
Expert:  Dr. Abid replied 5 months ago.

Hi. I am Dr Abid.Welcome to Just Answer and thank you for the question.
I'm reviewing your question now and will post back with your reply.

Expert:  Dr. Abid replied 5 months ago.

Have you had western blot test ?

Regards

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
No i have not. I just got tested for Lyme though would hiv show up on that?
Expert:  Dr. Abid replied 5 months ago.

To rule OUT HIV 100 percent , you should go for western blot test please , this will clear everything , if this is negative than you have no HIV .

Regards .

Positive feedback will be appreciated .

Thanks .

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
Can you tell me about the oraquick home test? I thought these were trust worthy?
Expert:  Dr. Abid replied 5 months ago.

This is screening test that is done 3 weeks after exposure , on this test one canot say surely about HIV .

Western blot is the diagnostic test .

Regards .

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
I did the oraquick home test yrs later. Are they reliable?
Customer: replied 5 months ago.
Please can you tell me if the oraquick home test is reliable after 2 test or not?
Expert:  Dr. Abid replied 5 months ago.

Yes it is reliable more than 90 percent of cases .

Regards .

Positive feedback will be appreciated .

Thanks .

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
Do my symptoms sound like hiv? I'm freaking out here and not sure if I can deal with this. Your details are not very professional and I feel like this is a scam.
Expert:  Dr. Abid replied 5 months ago.

I dont think this is HIV related symptoms .

Relax please .

Positive feedback will be appreciated .

Thanks .

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
That's all you can say? Thanks for nothing, waste of money!! Read it all online already. Your giving me no hope or guidance. Thanks alot. I think this is a scam. Thought you were a doctor? I'm not rating this as a good experience. Bye Bye now
Expert:  Neuro Doctor replied 5 months ago.

Hi, I am an American Board Certified Neurologist with vast experience in diagnosing & treating all types of neurological & other medical conditions including the concerns of “hiv” you have mentioned here and I am very glad to help you with your health concerns.

First of all let me reassure you the possibility of hiv is extremely low in you

You had hiv testing done many times and all of them came negative

It is extremely reassuring

While the oraquick test or finger stick hiv testing is not 100% reliable but you had these tests done at different times, and specifically you had testing done few years after the exposure which also came negative, and you actually had two different tests done at that time, and all came negative

All these imply the possibility of hiv is extremely low in you

The type of symptoms you are having (or you have had before) - the recent fungal infection or the lymph node enlargement in the past etc do not automatically point towards hiv, in fact there are so many other conditions that can produce these manifestations so hiv should not be the automatic suspicion

You may try to get one more test, a blood test, and this will help in reassuring you, however considering that you have had many hiv tests, that too done at different times including few years after the exposure too and all came negative so hiv possibility is extremely less likely in you and most likely you have not contracted hiv. You may do one more test (a blood test) but I strongly feel it will come negative based on the information you have provided above.

Please let me know if you have any further questions, and please click a positive rating (preferably 5 Star/Excellent) to credit for the time & effort put by me in answering your health question, and this is the only way I will be credited for my service to you. If you have follow-up or additional questions you can ask them after the rating too.

Best regards,

Customer/p>

Hi, Please let me know if you have any additional questions or if you want to discuss this further. And once again I very strongly reassure you hiv possibility is extremely low in you.

Best regards!

Customer/p>