Dr. D. Love, Doctor
Experience:  Family Physician for 10 years; Hospital Medical Director for 10 years.
21597572

I couldn't find a herpes section but here goes my scenario,

Customer Question

I couldn't find a herpes section but here goes my scenario , two weeks ago I received oral sex from a girl who does things for money, I had irritation on my penis from wrong soap but that never seemed to be the problem , I had a slight in comfy urinationg for a few days which now went away, I went to the clinic and they diagnosed me with bacteria in my uretha , my other symptoms were bumps to pop up on my but and three were really close together but the dr days ago before my diagnoses said it we folliculitus not at all concerned with herpes but I am, I'm having neuro symptoms in my thighs constantly and I read all over the web that NGU can be caused by an oral hsv1 infection, the my dr wouldn't test for herpes and said k don't have it because no lesions , and he says he doubts in have it anyway, but since these bumps that came about that went away in a day and other symptoms and diagnoses of NGU I pretty much know I have it, and I really wanted to try for children with my gf one day...now my dreams are crushed because of henital hsv 1, the girl didn't even have cold sores on her mouth and said she's never had one..
Category: HIV and AIDS
Expert:  Dr. Abid replied 2 months ago.

Hi. I am Dr Abid.Welcome to Just Answer and thank you for the question.
I'm reviewing your question now and will post back with your reply.

Expert:  Dr. Abid replied 2 months ago.

Sometime HSV remains asymptomatic and even don't appear whole life , but they remain in body , body secretions and can be transmitted to other healthy persons through oro-genital sex .

As she works for money and she had many encounters with so many peoples , it is highly likely that she is a source of transmission to healthy individuals as in your case .

Even when there are no lesions , secretions can transmit Virus .

You should work up for Herpes and get treatment please .

Regards ***** ***** luck .

“Please let me know if you have any further questions. And please take the time to leave me a positive rating if you are satisfied with the answer. You can always ask me for a follow-up question post rating the answer. You can also ask for me in the future by going on the linkhttp://www.justanswer.com/medical/expert-dr-abid/”

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
None of my questions were answered thanks for your help goodbye
Customer: replied 2 months ago.
Waste of money
Expert:  Dr. D. Love replied 2 months ago.

Hello. This is Dr. Love, a different expert.

There are several comments that are pertinent in this situation.

Yes, it is possible that HSV1 can cause an infection of the urethra, but it is very uncommon and there are many other germs that are more common to cause NGU.

Bumps that arise on the butt and resolve within a day is very atypical for an HSV1 infection.

However, even in the worst case scenario that you are one of the very uncommon men that develop a genital HSV1 infection, it is definitely not something that should be considered to crush your dreams. HSV1 does not like growing on the genitals, so when a genital HSV1 infection happens, it is much milder than a genital HSV2 infection. The vast majority of people with genital HSV1 infections get only one or two episodes and not the multiple recurrent episodes that is seen with genital HSV2 infections (or oral HSV1 infections). There is no problem with you and your girlfriend trying to get pregnant once the two of you are ready to do so.

If there are any additional questions, please let me know.

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
how do I continue life from here? My dr said he doesn't even think I should take the blood test, but I'm going to when some time goes by....I'm in a state of panic and shock and they prescribed me antibiotic am Xanax 1mg, I can't believe I have NGU most likely from herpes..... He said without an outbreak of blisters on my penis I shouldn't be too worried ....idk what to do anymorr

If you have never had a blood test for HSV1, the first step would actually be to have a blood test now. Between one-third and one-half of people in the US have antibodies for HSV1 by age 21. And about half of these people do not remember ever having had cold sores, most likely because they were infected before they can remember, although they may have also simply had a mild infection.

If you wait and only check a blood test in three months and it is positive, it would be impossible to know whether you are one of these people that are already positive or if the test became positive because of this encounter. By checking a blood test now, you will know if you were infected when younger. And if the current test is negative and the repeat test is positive in three months, then that would indicate that the infection happened currently.

I would also note that you should get tested for HSV1 and HSV2. Just as you can get genital HSV1, it is also possible that she had contracted oral HSV2. Whenever we do testing for HSV, we typically test for both types.

So, get a current test for baseline, and then if it is negative, repeat the test in 3 months.

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
do you think I have herpes form the encounter And the NGU is from it

I do not think that the herpes caused the bumps. I think it very unlikely that the NGU is from herpes.

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
Can you please explain why, honestly why ? Then I can rate and tip

Primarily for the reasons that I noted above - it is very uncommon for HSV1 to cause an infection of the urethra and there are other germs that are more common as a cause for NGU.

While I can say that it is very uncommon, I cannot say that it never occurs, but the likelihood is certainly at a level that I can accurately say that it is very unlikely that the NGU is from herpes.

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
Ok what about the random pimples on butt and thighs that go away in a day and jumping nerves in thighs ? I'm going to rate right now

As I said above, bumps on the butt that resolve in a day is atypical for herpes.

The nerve symptoms are non-specific, in that they can occur in a variety of infections, including spreading of NGU to the deeper urethra or prostate.

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
Jesus Christ I'm seeing all these posts on forums with guys testing positive after blow jobs....but this guy saw blisters two Days later , is it true that with most of these cases you get the blisters pretty quick ad obvious , my dr said if there's no blisters I can be confident ...

I am sorry for the delay, but I had to step away from the computer.

We are seeing increasing numbers of cases of genital infections due to HSV1 transmitted via oral sex, but the typical infection involves visible sores on the external skin, not infections of the urethra.

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
It's been over two weeks and still no lesions on penis
Customer: replied 2 months ago.
Just like the nerves in my thighs are jumping theyre now jumping in my face as soon as I woke up

This is one of the reasons that I say that it is unlikely that this is a genital infection from HSV1.

A genital infection from HSV1 would clearly not be causing jumping in your face as soon as you wake up.

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
My dr and dr Terri Warren said although this can be asymptatic, no sores on penis 2-10 days after is a good sign? Also if the NGU was from hsv it would have been very painful,

Yes, it is a good sign. It usually is very painful, but the severity of pain can be variable, so does not change that it is very unlikely to be from HSV1.

Please remember to provide a positive rating so that I am credited for assisting you.

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
I don't quite understand what you're saying ? And of course I'm going to rate ,

I agreed with what they said, other than noting that the pain level can be variable, but that does not change what I had already told you - that it is very unlikely to be from HSV1.

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
Last question from oral sex where would and when would an initial breakout MOST LIKELY take place ,

On the head or the shaft of the penis.

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
When.,

The most common period to onset of primary infection symptoms is 3-7 days, but a small percentage can be slightly less or more.

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
Are my jumping nerves and NGU primary infection symptoms associated with this virus ?
Customer: replied 2 months ago.
By jumping nerves I mean muscle twitches

Yes, but as I said above, it is very uncommon.

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
Wow scary, ok

Why is it scary that it is very uncommon?

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
It's scary because it's a symptom and that means I most likely have it, im going to see if I can go somewhere and have the inside of my penis swabbed or something because I can't live another day like this , I'm in mental hell, herpes is the only thing on my mind all day

No. If it is very uncommon, you most likely do not have it.

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
Ok well before I rate, I assume you've treated men with henital herpes before , how does it present ? I mean , I had broken skin on my penis and apparently I didn't get it there because no lesions or even pain on there, how the heck would it just go in the urethra and not in the exposed skin? I just want some understanding because I know you have other business to attend to

I have treated many men with genital herpes. It presents most often with sores on the head or shaft of the penis or on the skin around the base of the penis. It is spread by skin to skin contact, and the external skin is the primary skin that is contacted. And during oral sex, there is relatively less contact with the skin around the base of the penis. It can only get into the urethra if there is unusual pressure to expose the urethra. It is because there is not the same exposure of the urethra as the external skin that the urethra is involved far less often than the external skin.

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
How quickly after the encounter did they say the sores showed up, bare with me dr please

It is most often 3-7 days after the encounter, although a small percentage may be slightly more or less.

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
Ok lastly what do you advise I do from here , what would YOU do,

It depends upon what you mean. If you mean what would I do if it were me having these symptoms, I would not be as anxious as you, so I would not do any testing for HSV1. However, if you mean what would I do if you were my patient and you are as anxious about this as you obviously are, then I would do the blood testing that I described above. If you insisted that I do a swab, then I would also do that, but the swab is most accurate on the first day of symptoms and becomes less accurate each day, so is less accurate at this point in time and a negative swab does not rule out HSV disease.

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
Why wouldn't you be as anxious as I am?

Because I know that it is very uncommon.

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
I've just discovered a dry skin area on my thigh a little dot and picked it off and it's bleeding under it ...I'm goin to the er when I get off work

OK, but a dry skin patch on the thigh would not be a concern for HSV.

Let me know what the ER doctor says.

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
But now it's bleeding and hurts

I understand that. I was only commenting that it is not a concern for HSV.

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
That's what I'm thinking it is.....but ok I'm gonna rate in a bit I guess

OK

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
I don't w***** *****ve anymore:( I can't believe this....

This is certainly not a reason to not want to live, but the ER doctor can also reassure you about that.

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
I pretty much know its herpes now , I'm just now remembering a little after the encounter , I had a small pimple near the head of oenis that went away quickly

The usual sore of herpes may start as a bump or pimple, but it then typically progresses quickly to a blister, then an ulcer, which then crusts over and heals over a week to 10 days. it does not sound like this lesion that you just now remembered is following this sequence.

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
Why would I have it on my thigh if I had oral

You didn't have it on your thigh. You had a patch of dry skin that you picked to cause bleeding and pain.

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
May I ask two more questions before I rate and I'll tip as well,

Yes.

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
When I was smaller I had a red raw sore in the corner of my nose , could that have been hsv,? If so I'm worrying needlessly, and with that to the side , when I go
Test what do U think the outcome will be

It is possible that this was a cold sore, although cold sores are far more common in the mouth or lips. On the other hand, there are many other conditions that can cause a red raw sore in the corner of the nose.

Even without any oral symptoms, though, you may have already been infected with HSV1. As I told you above, between one-third to one-half of people have developed antibodies by age 21, and about half of these people do not recall ever having had symptoms. That is why I said that blood testing should involve a blood test now, rather than simply waiting for a few months to perform a blood test.

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
I was asking more regarding the chance of me having genital herpes

There is nothing in this additional information that would change that it would be very uncommon for this to be genital herpes.

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
They say the boxer short region is where an OB can occur.....

Yes, if the mouth touched that area, but it would not be a patch of dry skin. It would be a sore such as I described above.

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
Ok so basically your gonna break out where her mouth was,

Yes.

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
the fear of the bumps on my thighs and butt are irrational ?

There is no reason to have that fear.

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
Ok I'll
End this now , so I'm more concerned with passing this to my gf , she performed oral on me 6 days ago and we are having sex this weekend she hasn't had any symptoms yet

Since it is very uncommon that this could be an HSV1 infection, it would be equally very uncommon that it could be passed to your girlfriend. And, of course, if she is one of the one-third to one-half that already has antibodies, then she is immune.

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
wait till I'm tested or if I don't see anything on my Penis to have sex?

That is a decision that only you and your girlfriend can make. Most people do not refrain from sex when they have an encounter with a different sexual partner, even if a sex worker. But only you and your girlfriend can decide whether you want to do so in the setting of a very uncommon chance of infection.

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
Yeah that was a pretty unfair question to ask , I just don't want to put her in any danger sexually, she's the reason I'm so worked up , when I tip and rate will my card be kept on file or can I take it off until I have future questions ?

The experts do not have access to the financial components of the system, but you can contact customer service and they can answer this and any other questions related to financial issues. The e-mail for customer service is***@******.***.

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
should j really be afraid like I'm really scared sir

There is no medical reason to be scared.

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
How not? Last question i promise

Because it is very uncommon to get such an infection.

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
What's "such an infection "

The type of infection that we have been discussing.

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
I went to Duke Medical last night and had a swab of a lesion on my thigh , the Dr said if the girl wasn't in the pre cold sore stage or having active cold sores I should be fine and wasn't concerned about the sore on my thigh , and we know she didn't have any sores while she was doing the act and a week later I saw her and no sores

Very good. Then he agreed with what I had said.

Please provide a positive rating so that I am credited for assisting you.

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
Ok but you said it doesn't matter if she had sores or not ,
Customer: replied 2 months ago.
I'm rating now

He must be referring to relative risk, not absolute risk. There are a multitude of references that document that shedding without symptoms occurs with both oral and genital herpes (also called aymptomatic shedding). However, it happens infrequently, so the relative risk is low, and that contributes to me saying that the likelihood of infection in this situation is very uncommon.

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
This is what i had swabbed last night ...I'm so scared

There is no reason to be scared. It does not look worrisome on the picture, but it is more significant that it started as a dry patch, which is not typical for herpes, and the doctor last night was able to perform a full exam and said that he was not concerned about the sore. A personal examination is always more accurate than review of a picture.

Please provide a positive rating.