DoctorAnil, Doctor
Experience:  M.D with over 30 years of experience in practice.

I am an HIV Neg. man who had unprotected anal sex with an

Customer Question

I am an HIV Neg. man who had unprotected anal sex with an HIV Pos. man. I was the active partner and he was the passive one. How at risk am I of infection and what should be my next steps in terms of testing and medication?
Submitted: 1 month ago.
Category: HIV and AIDS
Expert:  DoctorAnil replied 1 month ago.

Hello and thanks for trusting me to help you. I am a board certified consultant with over 30 years of experience.

Anal sex is the riskiest type of sex for getting or transmitting HIV. Receptive anal sex is 13 times as risky for acquiring HIV as insertive anal sex.

The risk estimates for the sexual transmission of HIV, per sex act 0.06% to 0.16% for insertive anal intercourse.

I think you should consult your doctor and they may want to start PEP.

Post-exposure prophylaxis (or PEP) is a way to prevent HIV infection after a possible recent exposure.

Testing for HIV can be done by 4th generation ELISA at 6 weeks,3months from exposure.

Let me know if you have any further query so we can discuss it thoroughly in every aspect.
Please use the REPLY/SEND BUTTON to reply back to me. It's request to avoid poor/bad rating.
It’s my pleasure to continue this conversation until you satisfy.
Waiting for your response.

If you want to test early you can consider HIV RNA PCR which has a window period of 2-3 weeks.

It's my privilege to help you if you have any further query regarding your this health issue.
May I help you further?
Waiting for your response.