DR.EHTISHAM
DR.EHTISHAM, Doctor
Experience:  MBBS, FCPS
41140702

Can you please help. I had a blood test 10 weeks after

Customer Question

Hello,Can you please help.
I had a blood test 10 weeks after unprotected sex with a friend and all results came back negative. How accurate is HIV results 10 weeks after unprotected sex?HIV status of person unknown.Thanks
Category: HIV and AIDS
Expert:  DR.EHTISHAM replied 3 months ago.

Hello! My name is***** to JustAnswer. I'm reviewing your question now, and will post back with your reply momentarily.

The recommendation are to get tested at 12 weeks and then at 6 months so if you have been tested at 10 week and found out to be negative your chances of having an HIV infection are very low. A negative result at twelve week usually have a sensitivity in ruling out HIV in excess of 95% . So you are most likely safe but another test will be required

Good luck

Feel free to ask if any more question

If done Please leave a POSITIVE (3 – 5 stars, preferably 5) rating by clicking on the stars above, until you do I am not compensated for my time. You can continue to ask follow-up questions even after the POSITIVE rating

Regards

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
What are the chances of getting HIV after one time without ejaculation? (percentages etc)
Also i have a fear of contracting hiv in general what can i do to help this?

Chances are very low . It is almost between 0.5 - 0.8 %

You should have safe sex practices to ensure you stay away from HIV. Avoiding multiple partners, having protected sex and other measures of safe sex help in staying away from HIV

Good luck

Feel free to ask if any more question

Regards

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
I have only had unprotected sex one time and this is why i am freaking out.What can i do about anxiety regarding this? I worry about getting it doing day to day things.Help!!

You should feel relax as your 10 week test is negative and now the chances of HIV are very low. If you are really anxious you can take some anxiolytic after consulting the doctor. Just relax as at this point the risk is very very low

Good luck

Feel free to ask if any more question

Regards

I can understand your anxiety but the chances of catching HIV in the present situation are very low

Good luck

Feel free to ask if any more question

Regards

The chances of having one time exposure to HIV positive individual is even low . It is in the range of approx. 0.0008 or 8 cases per 10,000 exposure . You are definitely not at high risk and the fact that your recent test is negative you should be relax .

Good luck

Feel free to ask if any more question

Regards

Are you there ?

Feel free to ask if any more question

Regards