DrThomasMD, Practice Director
Experience:  Practice Director

On the 28th of July, I had protected sex with a woman

Customer Question

Hello Doctor, on the 28th of July, I had protected sex with a woman including oral sex from both of us. Two days later (July 30), I received oral sex from another woman and inserted my finger inside her for a few moments but we did not have sex. 4 days later (8/3) I began feeling sick (low fever that became high fever 102, joint and muscle pain, headaches) the fever broke by morning. On Friday night (8/5) I developed a rash that covered my forearms, chest and parts of my lower legs (Picture attached). The rash last for about 18 hours then went away. I have never gotten a rash like that before in my life.
As soon as the rash went away I have been symptom free since then. I am concerned that the fever, rash and sickness I got has something to do with the sexual acts I engaged in, specifically Acute HIV.1. Is there a possibility that those encounters caused my sickness the following week?
2. Can I show symptoms of HIV that soon after a sexual act?
3. Could it be something other than HIV?I have already sent out my blood work for a rapid HIV test, but I will have to wait almost a week to get results. Can you please answer my questions?Thank you.
Category: HIV and AIDS
Expert:  DrThomasMD replied 2 months ago.

I understand your concern and I will be happy to answer your questions.

1. Almost zero. The normal time is 2 to 4 weeks. Possible, but very unlikely.

2. Almost never.

3. Any viral infection could do it.

I would say there is less than 1/10 of 1% that you have HIV.

OK, so you might have more questions or want to give me more information: Please use reply to expert if you have further questions. Also, please click a positive rating [hopefully excellent (5)—that’s how we are paid, per rating]. If you forgot something, just use reply and come back. I am here