Dr. D. Love, Doctor
Experience:  Family Physician for 10 years; Hospital Medical Director for 10 years.
21597572

I have a sore on the roof of my mouth and was at the store

Customer Question

I have a sore on the roof of my mouth and was at the store and an employee got a little spittle on my mouth when talking with me. A few minutes later, I thought I tasted something strange on my lips. Am worried the employee could have had blood mixed in with saliva when he got spittle on my mouth. Does this warrant an exposure.
Category: HIV and AIDS
Expert:  Dr. D. Love replied 4 months ago.

Hello from JustAnswer.

No, there is no reason to consider this an exposure, so there is no reason to consider any treatment or testing. There has never been a documented case of HIV that has been transmitted by this mechanism. There is far more saliva exchange that occurs during simple kissing and a similar risk of blood in saliva during kissing, and there has never been a risk identified from kissing, with or without sores in the mouth.

Therefore, you do not need to be worried about this incident.

If I can provide any additional information, please let me know.

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
Thank you for your quick response. I guess my concern was that I could not identify whether the strange taste on my lips was blood possibly mixed in with his saliva. Does your answer remain the same in that this does not warrant testing or an exposure?

Yes, I considered that in the answer. There is no reason to consider it an exposure and there is no need for testing.

Please let me know if I can provide any further assistance.