Dr. Muneeb Ali
Dr. Muneeb Ali, Intensivist
Experience:  MBBS, MD, MCCM.Currently working in Critical Care Medicine with 10 year experience in Medicine
22950887

I waiting answer aboutthe v test

Customer Question

I waiting for my answer aboutthe hiv test
Category: HIV and AIDS
Expert:  Dr. Muneeb Ali replied 5 months ago.

Hello again,

I believe i answered your question already. 10 weeks is enough time for a 4th generation test to come back as positive. You dont need to repeat it at 12 weeks. If it is negative then you are HIV negative. If ONLY a p24 antigen test was done at 10 weeks, then it is of no use as it would be negative anyway. The test to get done is a 4th generation combined antigen antibody test and getting it done after 10 weeks is 99% accurate, you dont need to get it done after 12 weeks again.

Do you have any more questions?

Please leave a POSITIVE (3 – 5 stars, preferably 5) rating by clicking on the stars above, until you do i am not compensated for my time. You can continue to ask follow-up questions even after the POSITIVE rating. You can also ask questions from me directly by going on the link below,

http://www.justanswer.com/medical/expert-dr-muneeb-ali/

So to repeat myself, YES it is enough time for a 4th generation test to come back positive, if it didnt then you dont have HIV.

A p24 antigen test ALONE (not the combined test) is not recommended to be done at 10 weeks, if you got ONLY the p24 test (without the antibody) then YES you will need to get the combined test done at 12 weeks.

Do you have any more questions?