Dr. Muneeb Ali
Dr. Muneeb Ali, Intensivist
Experience:  MBBS, MD, MCCM.Currently working in Critical Care Medicine with 10 year experience in Medicine
22950887

I made v test 10 weeks after exposure on laboratory

Customer Question

I made hiv test 10 weeks after exposure on laboratory detecting p24 and antigen was negative is enough time or need 12 weeks?
Category: HIV and AIDS
Expert:  Dr. Muneeb Ali replied 5 months ago.

Well 10 weeks is adequate time for detecting p24 antigen in your body. I think if you got the COMBINED 4th generation antigen/antibody test at 10 weeks and it was negative then you have nothing to worry about. that is ENOUGH time for it to come back a positive if you had HIV. Since it came back negative, you dont have HIV. This is for teh combined test, if ONLY the p24 was tested for then it would come back as negative after 6 weeks as it icannot be detected after 6-8 weeks. But given your previous questions, you got tested with the combined test and it was negative so You are negative for HIV.

Do you have any more questions?

Please leave a POSITIVE (3 – 5 stars, preferably 5) rating by clicking on the stars above, until you do i am not compensated for my time. You can continue to ask follow-up questions even after the POSITIVE rating. You can also ask questions from me directly by going on the link below,

http://www.justanswer.com/medical/expert-dr-muneeb-ali/

Do you have additional questions? If done for now, please remember to leave a positive rating as that is the only way we are compensated for our time spent helping you. You can continue to ask follow-up questions even after the rating.

So to repeat myself, YES it is enough time for a 4th generation test to come back positive, if it didnt then you dont have HIV.

A p24 antigen test ALONE (not the combined test) is not recommended to be done at 10 weeks, if you got ONLY the p24 test (without the antibody) then YES you will need to get the combined test done at 12 weeks.

Do you have any more questions?