Dr. Muneeb Ali
Dr. Muneeb Ali, Intensivist
Experience:  MBBS, MD, MCCM.Currently working in Critical Care Medicine with 10 year experience in Medicine
22950887

In my case I made a test after exposure 10 weeks should be

Customer Question

in my case I made a test after exposure 10 weeks should be enough?
Category: HIV and AIDS
Expert:  Dr. Muneeb Ali replied 5 months ago.

I believe you are asking about getting a test done after 10 weeks of exposure to HIV. if this is the case then YES that is enough time for the test to come back as positive IF you had HIV. At 10 weeks the test is 99% accurate and if it came back as NEGATIVE then you DONT have HIV. It is very very unlikely that you contracted HIV in light of the type of exposures that you had and the repeated negative tests that you have gotten at different intervals. So a test after 10 weeks is VERY ACCURATE and you dont have HIV.

Do you have any more questions?

Please leave a POSITIVE (3 – 5 stars, preferably 5) rating by clicking on the stars above, until you do i am not compensated for my time. You can continue to ask follow-up questions even after the POSITIVE rating. You can also ask questions from me directly by going on the link below,

http://www.justanswer.com/medical/expert-dr-muneeb-ali/

So to repeat myself, YES it is enough time for a 4th generation test to come back positive, if it didnt then you dont have HIV.

A p24 antigen test ALONE (not the combined test) is not recommended to be done at 10 weeks, if you got ONLY the p24 test (without the antibody) then YES you will need to get the combined test done at 12 weeks.

Do you have any more questions?