Neuro Doctor
Neuro Doctor, Neurologist (MD)
Experience:  American Board Certified Neurologist, Internal Medicine
56178413

In 2001-2003 I had 2 gh risk exposure in south Africa where

Customer Question

Hi
in 2001-2003 I had 2 high risk exposure in south Africa where I lived for a while , I'm from middle east (Jordan) my risk was on both encounters is Condom break and failure. I went back in Jordan and tested in government hospital after 3 months from my last exposure and result came back negative. in 2004 I had another sex exposure in a country in middle east and condom break too . in 2009 which is means 5 years from my last exposure and 68 years from my first high risk exposure I planned to get married , I went and I did hiv test in private lab twice in a week both results came back negative , I had a feeling to not trust the lab maybe cuz it was small and not a big knowing lab , I got married and move on thinking maybe I'm over thinking , I got married in 2009 , and me and my wife had a baby in 2014 and during my wife pregnancy she test hiv negative in her first semester and third trimester . after all of this is me and my wife and my baby hiv negative? cuz I read online maybe people can have healthy babies even if the father hiv positive and maybe the transmission didn't occur at this time , and I read some cases its a direct transmission from father to the baby without the mother being infected. after reading my question please give me your advise
thank you
Category: HIV and AIDS
Expert:  Neuro Doctor replied 6 months ago.

Hi, I am an American Board Certified Neurologist and I am very glad to help you with your health concerns.

You are unlikely being infected with hiv. The hiv testing done even in small labs are highly reliable. You had last exposure many years ago and it sounds you are not having any hiv symptoms. You had hiv negative testing too. It looks like your wife and child too tested negative. If a child is tested negative then the child too does not have hiv for sure.

I do not see any reason for being concerned about hiv in you or your child.

Please let me know if you have any further questions; and if you feel you have received the answer to your question please rate me so that I can receive credit for the time and effort put by me in answering your question.

Best regards,

Customer/p>
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
my child is 2 years now and never tested for hiv , only the mother during pregnancy , is it possible I have hiv and did pass it to my wife and she get pregnant and tested negative? I read there is a chance of that . it been 13 years from my highest risk and only I had mild flu from my first exposure after like 4 weeks and very bad sore throat lasts for 2 weeks in 2003 and joint pain in my ankle and arm and fingers, after that nothing.

The hiv testing done in year 2009 was negative in your case and this should cover for all your previous exposures & symptoms. Since the 2009 testing came normal you are unlikely to have infected with hiv. If you are hiv positive and passed it to your wife then she will also become positive, and then only she can transfer it to the child, if mother was tested hiv negative then the child cannot get hiv for sure.

Based on all the information you have provided you and your child are unlikely having infected with hiv.