Anthony Bray, MD
Anthony Bray, MD, Doctor
Experience:  14 years experience in the field of Family Practice
13781349

I just had a baby and received a positive rapid hiv test

Customer Question

Hi, I just had a baby and received a positive rapid hiv test result, and a negative one also. My baby and I took a pcr test when she was 4 days old and I did also, they both came back negative. Ever since then I have been really concerned about having hiv, even though the doctors are telling me I have nothing to worry about. I only have one sexual partner and he is negative. The only way I think I could have gotten this is from using this 2n nasal bone remodeling essence serum on my nose that I bought offline. Other than that, idk where this could have come from.
JA: AIDs and HIV are such scourges and so unfair when babies get them. But there are great drugs and other treatments these days so go talk to our Expert and learn all you can about what to do next. Is there anything else the HIV Doctor should be aware of?
Customer: No, I was wondering what are the possibilities that I do actually have hiv
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the HIV Doctor about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: HIV and AIDS
Expert:  Anthony Bray, MD replied 6 months ago.
Hello!It sounds to me that you probably had a single false positive test ..Understandably it will scare you however...Of course you need to be sure and have peace of mind ...I would advise that you confirm negative with repeat An HIV PCR test in 12 to 14 days and a GEN 4 HIV in 30 days ...Both of these would be >99% accurate and the 2 tests would actually be in reality 3 different and reliable forms of testing ..We need to PROVE to you beyond all doubt that the one test was a false positive ...That is what makes sense if your partner and baby are nobody negative ....You already had a PCR negative which is the best test ...You are negative I would say I realize that the psychology of this issue just haunts people from my experience with this issue ...I think going a bit over the top to PROVE that you are indeed NEGATIVE is what is needed I hope that this is helpful for youLet me know if you have further questions or concernsI will be happy to get back with youIf my answer has been helpful and to your satisfaction then please remember to leave positive feedback Thank you and Best RegardsAnthony Bray MD
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
Well I was using a serum offline called 2n nasal bone remodeling serum stored in a syringe. If it was tainted with hiv, what are the possibility that I have hiv through nose absorption.
Hello again,I am not familiar with that product but you would not be expected to contract HIV from a product ...HIV is contracted from intimate contact --- BLOOD / BODY FLUIDS contact such as these ...I don't think that you would have any such risk from a serum that you purchased ...Your PCR test was NEGATIVE and that is accurate !!!So I think that you just had a false positive test...I understand that one positive result is unnerving but that result was just false I am sure ....Confirm negative I agree // I hope that this is helpfulBest regards!
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
I understand that, but I was also told that it could be contracted through the mucous membranes (the nose). So my question is, can you get hiv from absorbing a serum that is tainted with hiv on the skin of your nose?
If you had a body fluid with HIV that would be possible mode of transmission BUT nothing sold over the counter should have any such thing or source .. That should NOT be possible ...FDA would not allow that ....