imdr06
imdr06, Doctor (MD/DO)
Experience:  I am a certified HIV Specialist/Physician as well as board-certified Internist. I have a large HIV practice.
37530465

I was cleaning a restroom as part of my job. I noticed a bit

Customer Question

I was cleaning a restroom as part of my job. I noticed a bit of dry blood on the tile wall next to the toilet paper. I rolled toilet paper (it was thin), put soap on it and scrubbed/rubbed off the dry blood with it. While I was cleaning it off, I noticed that the toilet paper had ripped. It was rather hard to scrub it off the wall. I assume it was crusty, but came off easier because there was soap on the toilet paper. The blood's color was a light red-yellow-isn color when it transferred from the wall to the toilet paper. I immediately threw away the toilet paper and washed my hands. The blood was at least two days old. Am I at risk for any infections such as HIV or Hepatitis C? I didn't have any cuts or wounds on my hand at the time. From what I know, HIV can only be transmitted from person to person and not person-object-person. As for Hepatitis C, I have learned that it is a bit different. Should I get tested?
edit: I have a small patch of loose skin on the side of my finger close to the cuticle. I put lime juice on my hand and the only part that stung is where that small patch of loose skin is located.
Category: HIV and AIDS
Expert:  Dermadoc replied 6 months ago.
Hello Welcome and Thank you for your query posted.My name is***** and being a Medicine specialist I would be able to provide you with an appropriate solution to your concern.Please note that my Goal is to provide you with an Excellent Service .Thanks for giving me all the information. From the details that you have provided , its unlikely that you are at any risk for transmission of HIV & Hepatitis C. The virus responsible for HIV does not remain active in dried clotted blood. It become inactive and do not cause any transmission. Hepatitis C virus can remain active in dried blood.But, since your skin was intact and there were no cuts or wounds, there doesn't seem to be a chance of transmission.Antiseptics when used in appropriate concentations on the virus, causes inactivation of the virus. However, I would always suggest the use of gloves if possible while cleaning the toilets. Please note that the answer provided is for information purpose only and does not substitute a Doctor - Patient Consultation in Clinic
Expert:  Dermadoc replied 6 months ago.
Hello, The loose patch of skin might not be a fresh wound so again the chances of transmission are less. The risk of transmission is negligible with the mode of transmission that you mentioned.Take care.