Dr. khagihara
Dr. khagihara, medical doctor
Experience:  trained in multiple medical fields

Bothering the Doctors here to help with my paranoia. Had an

Customer Question

Bothering the Doctors here to help with my paranoia. Had an unprotected vaginal encounter with a person of unknown HIV status. Awaiting my 3 months. Curious, 5 out of 10000 is quite Low odds but just wondering how this is possible when so many people get infected. How is this?
Category: HIV and AIDS
Expert:  Dr. khagihara replied 6 months ago.
HIV infection is usually acquired through sexual intercourse, exposure to infected blood, or perinatal transmission. The mode of acquiring HIV infection was undetermined in 4 percent of the cases originally reported to the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC). A careful review of 32,497 cases, however, revealed that only 0.2 percent had no clearly defined risk factor. The distribution of the modes of transmission of HIV infection varies in different countries. In resource-limited areas, vaginal sex is responsible for 70 to 80 percent of HIV infections, and perinatal transmission and injection drug use (IDU) for 5 to 10 percent each. In contrast, during the first 25 years of the epidemic in the US, male-to-male sexual contact and IDU accounted for about one-half of cases
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
So what is the level of "up at night" concern one should have after one potential exposure?
5 out of 10000 is your risk as you mentioned according to CDC.