DIEGO BONILLA
DIEGO BONILLA, Doctor
Experience:  Pulmonary/ Critical Care at Boston University
93381398

I have a question

Customer Question

Hello I have a question
Category: HIV and AIDS
Expert:  DIEGO BONILLA replied 8 months ago.
HelloThis is Dr. Diego.What is your question?
Customer: replied 8 months ago.
I had a sexual experience that started protected ended up unprotected on the 9 of March. 9 days after I got weak and developed horrible symptoms I still have them my blood counts were off and everything
Customer: replied 8 months ago.
I went for a rna test 19 days post exposure it returned negative but I still felt ill. I am going for another today which is 26 days post exposure my throat is hurting now and muscles are still aching and I am still fatigued how conclusive can rna be at 19 days post exposure I hear at 14 it is pretty accurate
Hi there,This is Dr Diego, experienced Internal Medicine, Pulmonary and Critical Care Medicine.I am here to address your concerns and provide great service.I understand your concerns. HIV can usually be tested on early exposure with a RNA test. Usually 2 weeks after the exposure the test can be positive. However new confirmatory test need to be done after 4 weeks from the exposure to look for seroconversion. A wester blot needs to be done to confirm the diagnosis in case the test is positive. This can be usually done after 4 weeks of the exposure. For now you should get a new test after 4 weeks of the exposure. In case you continue with the symptoms got to you PCP. The symptoms that you have could be also secondary to a different viral infection. The only way I am credited here by the website and the money that you have deposited is released is when you rate me.Therefore, I would appreciate a rating when you are done asking.Kindest regards
Customer: replied 8 months ago.
Okay I will definitely rate u
Customer: replied 8 months ago.
So if my rna test came back negative at 19 days and I was already experiencing symptoms that means I may not have it
Yes. However you need a new test after 4 weeks.
Customer: replied 8 months ago.
Ok because I'm taking another rna way today which has been 26 days after exposure that is fairly close to 4 weeks
Customer: replied 8 months ago.
Right?
Yes. That is fine.
The only way I am credited here by the website and the money that you have deposited is released is when you rate me.Therefore, I would appreciate a rating when you are done asking.Kindest regards
Customer: replied 8 months ago.
Huh aka so much. So question is.. If there were HIV in my blood at 19 days it would have come up in the rna. Because it detects the virus itself even before seroconversion?
Yes RNA is very sensitive and detects the virus after exposure. It's 99% accurate.