Dr Basu
Dr Basu, Experienced Specialist
Experience:  MD
23744323

Doctor, recently I have been experiencing a stinging

Customer Question

Hello doctor, recently I have been experiencing a stinging or pulsating pain in the head of my penis. Also all around the opening of the urethra it is red and irritated. I was concern thinking it was an STD like chlamydia, since I have engaged in unprotected oral sex, and became more worried when I heard that chlamydia can affect my fertility whenever I decide to have children in the future. I decided to test for it and the results came back normal. However I am still unsure what has caused this irritation in my urethra and since the test I have been worrying that perhaps I have something else like NGU. Does NGU cause fertility problems like chlamydia?
Category: HIV and AIDS
Expert:  Dr Basu replied 8 months ago.
Hi there,This is Dr Basu, experienced Internal Medicine Specialist. I am here to address your concerns and provide great service.The irritation is from the oral sex itself from friction.Not likely infection.You can repeat the tests after 2 weeks if symptoms still persistent.Best wishes,It was my pleasure to help you today.If I have answered all your questions, Please rate my response Excellent (click on the 5th star).Please bookmark my profile for fast, reliable and authentic answers!This is the link to my profile:http://www.justanswer.com/medical/expert-mysticdoc/
Customer: replied 8 months ago.
I have not had unprotected oral sex in a while now. Given I do not have chlamydia, should I be concern about fertility problems in the future?
Expert:  Dr Basu replied 8 months ago.
Your fertility will not be affected.Do not worry.
Customer: replied 8 months ago.
I appreciate everything doctor, but what if I have NGU? I've heard that aside from chlamydia, there are other bacteria that cause NGU. Can these other bacteria cause fertility problems?
Expert:  Dr Basu replied 8 months ago.
No they do not.And you can get treated with doxycycline to clear up any infection.