Dr Stan
Dr Stan, Doctor
Experience:  Physician at Stanley L Simpson, DO

Had sex with a, condom was on the whole time or atleast i

Customer Question

Had sex with a prostitute, condom was on the whole time or atleast i think, she took off the first condom so I was unable to inspect it but during I didn't notice any breakage. I was driving myself crazy so I took a gonorrhea and chlamydia test, both negative and then took a HIV RNA test which also came back negative, it was taken 9 days after the incident. Would it be safe to say I don't have HIV?
Category: HIV and AIDS
Expert:  Dr Stan replied 7 months ago.

Hi this is Dr Stan and I will help you today. At this point it is safe to say that you don't have HIV or Chlamydia or Gonorrhea. BUT,it can take 2 weeks to 6 months for your body to start making HIV antibodies. So to be absolutely safe, you should repeat the HIV test in one month and again in 6 months. The fact that you used a condum minimizes the chances, but to be absolutely safe, repeat the testing. Thank you for allowing me to help you today and a positive rating is always appreciated.

Customer: replied 7 months ago.
it was a transexual prostitute, I havent had any other encounters in a year so this is my only exposure and was being stupid. I took the RNA test because of anxiety. I have talked to my doctor at home who says there is nothing to worry about and that i am fairly safe to move past this. would you agree?
Expert:  Dr Stan replied 7 months ago.

I would agree. Contracting HIV is highly unlikely under these circumstances. What I stated is the academic approach, but in practical every day medicine, I would agree with your doctor.

Customer: replied 7 months ago.
one more question, how accurate is the HIV RNA test at 9 days? I took it at quest labs and they said it was 95-99% accurate but after looking online it seems like there are mixed opinions on it but a lot of them are dated back to 2006
Expert:  Dr Stan replied 7 months ago.

They are that accurate, 95-99%. Quest and Labcorp use the latest HIV tests. As I said, repeat the tests in one and 6 months to be 100% certain.