Dr. Abid
Dr. Abid, Doctor
Experience:  MBBS, FCPS(R)
16766337

I am very worried, last night my neighbour came in our house

Customer Question

Hi I am very worried, last night my neighbour came in our house and he was playing with our cat, and the cat scratched him and I took the cat and my cat scratched me immediately after him, we were both bleeding, my neighbour is gay and while looking at websites about HIV, it says that there is a risk of HIV infection from this cat scratch. I am so worried as some websites say there is no risk so I am confused.
Category: HIV and AIDS
Expert:  Dr. Abid replied 9 months ago.

Hi there ...

Thank you for your question ...

If cat has scratched you with same claw and had some blood of that gay in his claw , in that case there is chances to get HIV but chances are very very negligible , because of the fact that HIV virus remains alive for very short time outside the body .

First thing it would be ideal for you to ask gay about his HIV status and second you should get HIV test after 3 weeks of exposure with rapid HIV test or after ten days with PCR .

This is just for your satisfaction and just to be on safe side .

Please proceed as I advised you .

Regards ***** ***** luck .

Please leave positive feedback for me .

Thanks .