DrThomasMD
DrThomasMD, Practice Director
Experience:  Practice Director
24257177

I made the mistake of "hooking up" with a guy I didn't know

Customer Question

Hello. I made the mistake of "hooking up" with a guy I didn't know last night. He assured me he was ddf and negative and said he was taking triumeq as Prep but I looked it up after and it doesn't show its indicated for that.... Just a new med for HIV.
I was the bottom and he took the condom off briefly without me knowing. I would say 10-20 seconds and I immediately stopped him. There was no ejaculation. In fact I immediately stopped and left once I realized. I am very concerned because I always practice safe sex and would like to know my risk of contracting HIV with a few seconds of unprotected insertion. Thank you !
Category: HIV and AIDS
Expert:  DrThomasMD replied 11 months ago.

Hello

The risk of this situation, as described, is very low.

Probably less than 1/10 of 1% for HIV.

It is not zero however.

The risk is somewhat higher for warts, herpes [assuming he has these at all].

Low but not zero for other stds.

I would consult with your doctor at this point, and arrange appropriate screening tests for the exposure, even with low risk.

OK, so that is an initial answer….

Please use reply to expert if you have further questions. When you are ready, please click a positive rating [hopefully excellent]. If you forgot something, come back. I am here daily.

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
Do u believe this would require me to take PeP or another post med or am I just being over worrisome? Thanks

If the person is positive for HIV yes.

Otherwise probably not.

but that has to be discussed with the doctor who knows you

If there

please click a positive rating [hopefully excellent]. If you forgot something, come back. I am here daily.

were a reason to do it, has to be done within 72 hours.