Dr. Ravoof
Dr. Ravoof, Doctor
Experience:  Experienced Physician in the field of Medicine and Surgery.
17799485

I need to know if what happened in this situation put me at

Customer Question

Hi. I need to know if what happened in this situation put me at risk. I am experiencing a great deal of anxiety about it. I open mouth kissed another man for about 3 - 5 seconds maximum. It was shallow and his tongue was barely in my mouth. I have gingivitis. I had 31 hours earlier had the second part of a root canal which involved some deadening of my gum and cheek and molds of my tooth taken. I had not brushed my teeth for at least 8 hours prior. After maybe 5 minutes passed, Ibwent yo the bathroom and had s strange taste in my mouth. I don't out twice and there was some blood present in my saliva. I rinsed my mouth out three times with strong tasting listerine. My saliva was clear afterwards. There have been occasions where this happened before with my mouth when kissing was not involved. I tried to not panic. I talked with the guy afterward about it. He said he was HIV positive, gets tested every three months, is undetectable and takes a once a day pill for HIV. He also indicated he had no sores in his mouth or bleeding gums and that my tongue did not get passed his teeth. He did not bite me. He also said he had not brushed his teeth since the morning some 9 plus hours earlier. He told me the name of the Doctor he sees and I am familiar with him and he us a very reputable HIV specialist. I do not think the blood was his blood in my mouth. I think it was my own. We did not have oral it anal sex only mutual masturbation. I am so d acted because I am very careful and this was a shocking thing to have happened. I plan to get an HIV RNA test next Monday. While I know that there has never been a documented case of HIV infection this way and that saliva has proteins and enzymes that inhibit HIV and oxygen in the oral cavity also inhibits the virus, the fact this happened has me so deeply frightened. Can you please tell me the risk level and why the risk level is what it is?
Category: HIV and AIDS
Expert:  Dr. Ravoof replied 11 months ago.

Dear customer,

Thanks for your question.

Basically The Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) considers open-mouth kissing as having a remote and a low risk for transmitting HIV. Saliva is an extremely poor carrier of HIV, hence kissing, sucking, and licking the lips, mouth, and tongue are basically safe.
So the risk is very very small, hence testing is recommended just as a routine and for peace of mind. However the risk is so low from deep kissing that this is taken as "essentially nonexistent risk." Also there has never been a documented case of HIV which was proved to be transmitted by kissing, with or without sores, bleeding, gum disease. Therefore in your case the way you have described there is no risk for transmission of HIV to you.

Take care.

Please rate the answer by clicking 5 stars.

Thanks.

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
Thanks doctor. What a relief.

Dear customer,

You are welcome.

Please rate the answer with five stars and a bonus.

Thanks.