Dr. D. Love, Doctor
Experience:  Family Physician for 10 years; Hospital Medical Director for 10 years.
21597572

On November 7th, I had protected sex at a massage parlor

Customer Question

On November 7th, I had protected sex at a massage parlor with an Asian prostitute. She gave me oral with a condom on and then we had sex for about 5 minutes until I ejaculated within the condom...I didn't see any breakage in the condom nor did it slip
out during intercourse. However, last week, December 2nd, I started to experience some odd symptoms, such as pinching/throbbing pains around the temple of my head, mild pain, but persistent for about a week...started to feel muscle/joint pain, but the aches
subdue. However, I'm nervous now because my lower left neck is tender, including under my left armpit..I know these are where the lymph nodes are present. I haven't experienced a fever, night sweats, or diarrhea. Though I had protected sex with a prostitute,
does these symptoms indicate that I need to get a HIV/STD test? I'm so scared because I told myself I would never engage in a risky activity like this again, but I got drunk and didn't use great judgement that evening...please advise. Thank you
Category: HIV and AIDS
Expert:  Dr. D. Love replied 1 year ago.

Hello from JustAnswer.

Condoms provide strong protection against transmission of HIV. It is not 100% protection, but it is quite good. We usually do not routinely perform HIV testing after every encounter of protected sex, although it is recommended that all adults be tested for HIV regularly.

If someone has typical symptoms of an acute HIV infection, or acute retroviral syndrome, such as fever, sore throat, swollen lymph nodes, rash, and muscle aches, then that could be more of a concern, but having only one or two of these symptoms is less concerning.

As a general rule, our threshold for testing is low, as there is little risk from testing, and a negative result can be reassuring. So, even though the limited symptoms in someone with only protected intercourse is less concerning, if your were seen in my office, I would usually check an HIV test.

If I can provide any further information, please let me know.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thank you the response sir! Pertaining to lymph nodes, if there is an STI infection, would all lymph nodes become enlarged/inflamed? I can't recall having problems with a lymph node under my armpit so what does that suggest? In addition, when I was a child, I was diagnosed as being a neutropenia, so I catch infections fairly easy and takes a while for my body to defeat it (Dr. usually prescribes me Antibiotics and methylprednisolone 6 day pack when I get some type of infection/illness). So, with contracting HIV, would my body be an easy host to attack even with if I had protected sex with an infected person?
Also, pertaining to HIV, is it common for all symptoms to occur at one time, like experiencing a bad flu, or is it possible in my case to have 2 symptoms and not have the others to occur?

It varies. The primary lymph nodes affected by HIV is in the neck, although can be elsewhere. For other STI, it is really only the lymph nodes in the groin that can be affected by the acute infection. The symptoms of an acute HIV infection typically occur together. The full symptoms may take a couple days to develop, but it not common for it to take weeks for all of the symptoms to develop.

Swollen lymph nodes in the armpit do not indicate anything other than an infection. All of the symptoms that occur with an acute HIV infection also occur with generic viral infections, and since generic viral infection are far more common, the symptoms of an acute HIV infection are actually far more often caused by a generic viral infection.

There is no evidence that the fact that you catch common infections more easily increases your risk for contracting HIV.