Dr. D. Love, Doctor
Experience:  Family Physician for 10 years; Hospital Medical Director for 10 years.
21597572

Is thrush an early symptom of v infection or is it a later

Customer Question

Is thrush an early symptom of hiv infection or is it a later stage infection they say it's an opportunistic infection taking it as the immune system is worn down some
Category: HIV and AIDS
Expert:  Dr. D. Love replied 1 year ago.

Hello again.

First, thrush is seen in many people without an HIV infection, so is not considered an infection that is a sign of an HIV infection. There is an increased risk of developing thrush in people with HIV, but since there are far more people without HIV, thrush is seen far more often in people without an HIV infection.

However, for people with an HIV infection, a small percentage can develop a thrush infection during the acute phase of the infection, but thrush becomes much more common later in the course of the illness, as the immune deficiency develops as a consequence of the HIV infection. So, it can be an early symptom, but it is more often a late symptom during an HIV infection.

If I have answered all yourquestions, please rate my response Excellent (click on the 5th star).

However, if I can provide anyfurther information, please let me know.

Please bookmark my profile forasking further questions!

This is the link to my profile:

www.justanswer.com/medical/expert-DrDLove/

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
If i had thrush caused by hiv would my fourth generation test been positive for hiv the antigen part at least
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Because i took the test after the symptom

Usually, yes, but it depends upon the timing of the test. As we discussed the other day, this latest test that you had done was towards the end of the time period over which the antigen can be detected. The viral load tests are better at saying whether there is evidence of the virus when someone is having symptoms that may be attributable to an acute HIV infection.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I also did a fourth generation test 2 weeks ago at a lab that was negative plus a dna pcr test 3 weeks ago that was negative also it's been a little over 6 weeks since the exposure 2 weeks postpep

I understand that, which is why I have told you that it would be exceedingly likely that all of your future tests will continue to be negative.

Please let me know if I can provide any additional information.