Dr. Muneeb Ali
Dr. Muneeb Ali, Doctor
Experience:  MBBS, MD, MCCM. Currently working in Critical Care Medicine with 10 year experience in Medicine
22950887

If exposed to the virus how would a person most likely

Customer Question

If exposed to the virus how would a person most likely experience some sort of symptoms after one year?
Category: HIV and AIDS
Expert:  Dr. Muneeb Ali replied 1 year ago.

Well if a person was exposed to the HIV virus then he or she could experience symptoms like,

• Fatigue
  • Rashes
  • Swollen lymph nodes

But in most cases the patient enters into a period of clinical latency which means that the virus wouldnt cause any symptoms until activated later on in the course of the disease. This period of clinical latency has been documented to last for as long as 10 years as well. But the first thing here would be determine if the exposure which happened a year back actually resulted in the transmission of the virus. if a test was done 4-6 weeks after the exposure and it was found to be negative then chances are that the person wouldn't be infected with the virus at all.

Secondly in some cases, where there is an aggressive infection with HIV, the symptoms can appear to be that of AIDS which is the active form of the disease which means that the symptoms which would appear would be that of the opportunistic infections which occur with HIV. This depends on how far along the disease has actually progressed in such a case. It would mean if the CD4 count of that person is low enough he or she could have symptoms like shortness of breath, fever, diarrhea, loss of consciousness, visual disturbances, raised rashes over the body, weight loss, anorexia etc.

So in short in some cases if there is an actual infection, the symptoms would be the ones i mentioned above while a majority of cases they would enter into the latent period of the virus.

I hope I have been helpful and this answers your query. Please remember to assign a feedback rating so JA will compensate me for my time. You are free to ask follow-up questions thereafter at no charge although any bonuses would be appreciated. Please allow up to 24 hours for a follow-up response if I am signed off.

If, for some reason, you are not satisfied with the answer, I would appreciate knowing why so that I can try to clear up any misunderstanding that may have taken place and still earn a positive rating from you. Finally, you may request me in the future by beginning the question with "THIS IS FOR Dr. Muneeb Ali".

Thank you for using Just Answer.

Do you have anymore questions? If you are done for now, please leave a POSITIVE feedback rating as until you do i am not compensated for my time. You can continue to ask follow up questions even after the rating.