Dr. D. Love, Doctor
Experience:  Family Physician for 10 years; Hospital Medical Director for 10 years.
21597572

I'm worried i may have as ive just noticed a chancer type

Customer Question

Hi I'm worried i may have syphilis as ive just noticed a chancer type thing on my penis shaft and I've had unprotected oral sex a few times recently.
Category: HIV and AIDS
Expert:  Dr. D. Love replied 1 year ago.

Hello from JustAnswer.

Could you attach a picture of the sore that you think may be a chancre?

Are you having any pain or other symptoms associated with the sore?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Not sure, maybe a mild burn when i start to pee but soon dies away during flow. Penis head feels more tender/ a little sore if a squeeze it. that should be picture attached.

How long has this sore been present?

Is the soreness and tenderness limited to the head of the penis? Or is there any pain of the sore?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Only noticed it today. Just the head of the penis. None in the sore.

This sore does not have the characteristic appearance of a chancre, but since it has only been present for a single day, it is possible that it could progress. A syphilitic chancre usually looks much worse, although it will usually remain painless.

Other infections can cause sores that look more like this appearance, such as molluscum contagiosum. Herpes also can cause ulcerated lesions on the penis, although this also does not look herpetic.

So, the most likely infection from this appearance would be molluscum contagiosum, which is a viral infection that can be transmitted in various methods of contact, but also including sexual contact.

If the lesion progresses and gets worse, then there should be more consideration of whether it could be syphilis or herpes. If it is molluscum contagiosum, then additional lesions may appear, but they will look similar to this sore.

If I can provide any additional information, please let me know.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Can i take anything to cure it? If it is molluscom?

Like most viral infections, there is no medicine that will directly eradicate the infection, although the immune system will usually be able to clear the infection. Direct treatment of the sores with medicines that are similar to wart treatments, such as salicylic acid, can treat the individual lesions, but it does not eradicate the underlying viral infection.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Ok one more pick to look at, just to double check please?

This also does not have the characteristic appearance of a syphilis chancre. However, as noted above, since it has only been present for a single day, it may progress. If it is to progress, it will do so quickly, so you will know in a day or two if it is going to progress and be worrisome for anything more serious.

Would any additional information be helpful?

Please let me know if I can provide any further assistance.

In addition, if there is any progression of the lesion in the next day or two, then you can post an updated picture here and I would be glad to review it.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Hi ive now a red rash on tip of penis and some pain in penis head after i pee?

The redness of the tip and the pain with urination would not be a concern for syphilis, but it could be related to another STD, such as chlamydia or gonorrhea. Neither can be diagnosed by the appearance and it would require testing to look for the germs.

Since you do not comment, I assume that the other lesion did not progress.