Dr. David, Other
Experience:  Experienced physician
41363181

V 4th generation test after 20 years post exposure risk

Customer Question

Hiv 4th generation test after 20 years post exposure risk negative. Would the antibodies the test are looking for still be detectable?sereverosion possible??
Category: HIV and AIDS
Expert:  Dr. David replied 1 year ago.

This is Dr. David

seroconversion is not possible after 20 years.

you are not HIV positive.

you would have already developed antibodies after 6 months after exposure.

you don't need any more HIV tests.

Expert:  DrThomasMD replied 1 year ago.

.

Expert:  DrThomasMD replied 1 year ago.

Hello

I think your question needs clarification

Did you have a negative test?

If negative , you don't have HIV.

If you had the antibodies, they would still be detectable. However, it would be rare to have HIV for 20 years and not get AIDS, the disease. However, rarely, this has happened.

So:

If you have not been tested and are worried, it is still worth testing.

If you had a negative test, and your risk is "negative" except for the exposure 20 years ago, then you don't have HIV.

If you were exposed within the 20 years and have not been tested, you should still get the test.

Seroconversion would have occurred years ago, but you simply might not have become ill.

Seroconversion would not take more than 6 months, and in most cases, not more than 3 months.

There was one reported case years ago of sero conversion after 18 months, the longest on record.

I am a double board certified use doctor and clinician. I actually am trained in HIV and take care of HIV patients, and have for over 20 years.

Expert:  Dr. David replied 1 year ago.

This is Dr. David

yes, in your question you said HIV 4th generation test after 20 years ago exposure risk, the HIV test was negative.

if you had HIV, you would have HIV antibodies in your system which would be detectable.

you would not be able to seroconvert to HIV positive now 20 years later. that would be impossible.

Expert:  Dr. David replied 1 year ago.

do you have any other questions?