Dr. D. Love, Doctor
Experience:  Family Physician for 10 years; Hospital Medical Director for 10 years.
21597572

WENT TO MASSAGE PARLOR WEEK AND HALF AGO AND RECEIVED ONLY.

Customer Question

WENT TO MASSAGE PARLOR WEEK AND HALF AGO AND RECEIVED HANDJOB ONLY. I KNOW THAT ALONE IS NOT A RISK BUT MY CONCERN IS THAT SHE RUBBED THE TIP OF MY URETHRA ACROSS THE TOP OF THE PENIS WITH HER HAND(THUMB). MY QUESTION IS IF SHE HAD BLOOD FROM A SMALL FRESH CUT ON HER HAND, WOULD I BE AT RISK FOR HIV. I JUST TESTED NEG FOR CHLAMYDIA, GHON, TRICH. I KNOW I HAVE TO WAIT FOR HIV TEST TO BE DEFINITIVE. I HAVE SEARCHED YOUR FORUMS FOR ANSWER TO QUESTION BUT QUESTIONS WERE NOT AS SPECIFIC OR DETAILED AS MINE. AGAIN FRESH CUT COMING INTO CONTACT WITH URETHRA TOP OF PENIS. SHOULDNT THAT BE A CONCERN? IT DOESNT SEEM IT WOULLD HAVE ENOUGH TIME FOR VIRUS TO DIE IF CUT CONTACTS DIRECTLY ONTO URETHRA? THANK YOU AHEAD OF TIME FOR YOUR COUNCIL ON THIS MATTER.
Category: HIV and AIDS
Expert:  Dr. D. Love replied 1 year ago.

Hello from JustAnswer.

Yes, if there was a fresh cut that was actively bleeding and some of the blood were to contact the urethra, there would be a risk of transmission of HIV. You are correct that a handjob does not entail any risk, but a fresh cut and active bleeding can make any non-risk behavior contain some risk. For example, kissing is also clearly not a risk factor for HIV transmission, but if there is a fresh cut and active bleeding, and the blood gets in the mouth, it could be a mode of transmission of HIV.

If you did not see any blood on her hands, there is no reason to be concerned about this encounter. While there is a risk associated with any active bleeding, the number of cases in which transmission can be traced to such an action is exceedingly small. And while there is a theoretic risk of any active bleeding, there are many exposures happening on a daily basis, that “might” have had active bleeding, and it still has only caused a very small number of cases.

The current recommendations from the CDC are that testing after such an encounter is not indicated. It is recommended that everyone undergo regular testing, usually annually, and you certainly should have the regular testing. But it is not indicated for additional testing to be done because of such an encounter. When someone is anxious, there is no problem with testing, as the only risk is the cost of the test and the trivial risk of a needle stick, but it would generally not be considered necessary.

If I can provide any clarification, please let me know.

Please let me know if any additional information would be helpful.