Dr Uzair
Dr Uzair, Doctor
Experience:  MBBS, FCPS (R) General Surgery. Years of experience in Emergency Medicine.
27273415

Please Dr I will like to know if v mother with viral load 40

Customer Question

Please Dr I will like to know if hiv mother with viral load 40 and cd4 count 296 can breastfeed for 6 month while taking her medication with out infecting her baby?.
Category: HIV and AIDS
Expert:  Dr Uzair replied 1 year ago.

Hi and thanks for query. Unfortunately ​HIV is transmitted through breast milk to newborns so it is advised not to feed the baby as risk of infecting the baby by HIV by breast feeding is much greater than risks of acquiring infections by formula milk.So I would not recommend breast feeding in your case. Let me know if you have further questions. Please do leave a positive rating by clicking on stars on top right corner. Wish you good health.

Expert:  Dr Uzair replied 1 year ago.

Let me know if you have further questions.