Dr. D. Love, Doctor
Experience:  Family Physician for 10 years; Hospital Medical Director for 10 years.
21597572

I performed unprotected oral sex on a female sex worker

Customer Question

I performed unprotected oral sex on a female sex worker for approximately 20-40 seconds at most she was dry (vagina) n i didnt feel any secretions n I didnt insert my tongue inside her vagina i dont believe I had cuts sores or bad gums. I asked doctors n i was reassured n forgot about it. Three weeks after i have irritated sensation below my adams apple n dry cough n now am scared again from hiv n do not want to take the test no way
Please please advice
Category: HIV and AIDS
Expert:  Dr. D. Love replied 1 year ago.

Hello from JustAnswer.

It is exceedingly rare for HIV to be transmitted via oral sex provided to a female, and that is true even if the encounter of oral sex continues for much longer than what you describe. In your case, with such a short encounter, the risk would be even less.

On the other hand, there are many common causes of an irritation larynx and a dry cough, most often from a generic viral infection.

The current recommendation is that there is no reason to test for HIV after an encounter of providing oral sex to a woman, even if that woman is in a high risk category. However, if someone is anxious, getting tested is usually the best method to be able to be reassured that HIV transmission has not occurred.

If I can provide any clarification, please let me know.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
My doctor told the my chance is less than one in a billion so it real mathematics its equal to zero right?? Also r u saying that my symptoms is NOT HIV related

The risk is so low that the US Center for Disease Control does not even attempt to calculate a percentage or ratio, but this estimate from your doctor is about as close as can be done.

Yes, it is statistically far more likely that the symptoms are from a generic viral infection. There are actually other rare causes, such as acid reflux, that still would be more likely than HIV.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Is it true the risk is only theoretical
Also whats annoying me is why i am having this throat issue three weeks after exposure n my mind is saying hiv
What r the symptoms of hiv
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I do have mild acid reflux n i have been extremely stressed for three weeks now
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Why do u mean by generic viral infection coz my mind is saying is it the hiv virus

We never diagnose HIV from acute symptoms, because the acute symptoms are the same as other viral infections - fever, sore throat, swollen lymph nodes.

A generic viral infection is any of hundreds of viruses that can infect the human body, causing anything from colds to throat infections to bronchitis to GI infections. Since all of these infections are benign and act similarly, we groupp them together and do not try to differentiate the hundreds of different viruses. In the case of a throat infection in adults, a generic viral infection is far more common as a cause of a throat infection than Strep, and both are more common than HIV.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Are u telling me i dont have hiv

I am saying that it is exceedingly rare that HIV is even a possibility and the one in a billion estimate by your doctor is as close as can be stated.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Why u r telling me i dont need to be tested
When I calculate my chance the result is 0.0000001% so isnt that really zero%

Because we do not usually worry about that level of risk. You are more likely to sustain a serious injury causing death or permanent neurologic injury from the car trip to get tested than the likelihood that you have the disease. If testing for the disease is riskier than the likelihood of the disease, then we typically do not worry about testing for the disease.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Sorry i didnt understand can u give me another example plzzzzz

This is not an example - this is real risk. If you make a trip to your doctor or a lab to be seen for testing, there is a risk of having a car accident, and some of these car accidents will result in death or serious permanent neurologic damage. The risk of death or serious permanent neurologic damage is greater than the risk of acquiring HIV from this encounter, and we typically do not worry about testing for HIV, or any serious medical condition, if the risk of having the disease is less than the risk of getting tested for the disease.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Ok thanks

You are very welcome.