Dr. Ravoof
Dr. Ravoof, Doctor
Experience:  Experienced Physician in the field of Medicine and Surgery.
17799485

I just had condom protected sex with a man who has genital

Customer Question

I just had condom protected sex with a man who has genital herpes. He takes anti viral medication and has not had an outbreak in over 2 years. We used protection and he was careful about making sure there was no skin to skin contact. My question is what is the chance that I now have the virus and how soon can I be accurately tested?
Category: HIV and AIDS
Expert:  Dr. Ravoof replied 1 year ago.

Dear customer,

Even with all the precautions there is still a risk for transmission of genital herpes. However with these precautions your risk is reduced. In a study it was shown that symptomatic, laboratory-confirmed genital herpes occurred in 17 partners (2.3%) of 741 placebo recipients and 4 (0.5%) of 743 partners of those given an anti viral medication.

Regarding testing, you make ask your doctor for an antibody test. This is an accurate test with a high sensitivity and specificity and becomes positive in at least half of people at 2 to 3 weeks, and in 98% of people by 6 weeks. However in some individuals this can take up to 16 weeks for detection of antibodies. So you can have the test done at 6 weeks.

Take care.