Dr. David, Other
Experience:  Experienced physician
41363181

I recently (48 hours ago) red a sex worker (male). I asked

Customer Question

I recently (48 hours ago) hired a sex worker (male). I asked the worker if he had HIV and he answered he gets tested periodically and no he was negative. He also offered to show me his test results, and I declined (although now I wish I would have looked them over). He was very careful about condom use and always used one.
During receptive anal sex (I was receiving) the condom broke. We stopped when we discovered this. He did not ejaculate inside me. After that I was too nervous and we stopped.
I believe my risk to be low. I was thinking I should get the PEP, but maybe it is not warranted. Your thoughts on my risk evaluation?
Category: HIV and AIDS
Expert:  Dr. David replied 1 year ago.

This is Dr. David

receptive anal sex from an HIV positive partner would have a 50 in 10,000 chance to give you HIV

or about 5 in 1000 chance.

your chances of HIV are very small.

you can get DNA or RNA PCR testing 10-20 days after the event, but I bet you will be HIV negative.

you can also talk to an HIV counselor about PEP antiviral therapy, but you are right, your chances of contracting HIV are very very low.

http://www.cdc.gov/mmwr/preview/mmwrhtml/rr5402a1.htm#tab1
let me know if you have questions