Dr. D. Love, Doctor
Experience:  Family Physician for 10 years; Hospital Medical Director for 10 years.
21597572

Ok doctor, this is just i tested negative on a rapid test

Customer Question

ok doctor, this is just for you i tested negative on a rapid test from the health department last week had not had any sex drug use or blood contact or any thing for 3 years is this test good it is the alere combo determine thank you.
this doctor only
Category: HIV and AIDS
Expert:  Dr. D. Love replied 1 year ago.
Hello from JustAnswer.

This Alere test is very accurate, with sensitivity and specificity of 99.8-99.9%. Since you have had no potential exposure for 3 years, then this test would be considered definitive and no further testing is needed.

If I can provide any further information, please let me know.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Hi Doctor so you are saying that this test i took is accurate . No i do not have any relashinships with any one and I do not do drugs or have any contacts with it . Dr i just been having this feeling of hot and cold but no fevers no night sweats . just feeling that i am hot and cold do you have any ideas .

thank you

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

so you are saying that if i had it before 3 years i would have tested positive right? I just always worried so that is why I went to test .

if it had been 3 years, then yes, this test would have detected any HIV infection.

Feeling hot and cold can be related to any of a long list of infections, although HIV is the only infection that has been excluded. It also could be due to various inflammatory diseases or metabolic conditions, such as thyroid disease or diabetes.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

so you think it could be an infection or diabetes or thyroid I do have diabetes in my family . what other thyroid shall i ask my doctor to test me. thanks

A thyroid profile would be the appropriate test.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

so doctor you say it's not hiv because i tested negative . i also took the same hiv in june and it was negative as well . so you think i could have something wrong with thyroid .

Along with the various other conditions that I mentioned above.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Dr Love , you are so nice and wonderful. one more question if you do not mind . i had a cbc also it was normal every one normal . I could go and ask the doctor to do more tests i had a lot of urogram done all normal all std all normal no infections yeast culutures mamgram normal papsmear normal if it thyroid are you thinking mabe lupus or somthing like that thank you

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

my cbc was normal for white blood cells and red every thing on it is normal Dr i am a 61 year old female who eats healthy live a very clean life I hardly go out or mix with people . that is why I am woried it could be somthing like cancer could that be possible with normal blood counts thank you in advance.

when I noted above that it could be due to an inflammatory condition, lupus is one of the more common inflammatory conditions. With a normal white blood count, further evaluation to look for possible infections should be guided by the findings on physical examination. There is nothing in what you have said that is worrisome for cancer.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

dr love could it be menopusel symptems i do not take any thing except evening primrose oil . I am worried and scared . if i have an infection somewhere would i have synptems of temp . pain somewhere . something like that

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

and if i had hiv for sure i would have had the antibodies on that test i hear hiv can hide for a long time

If you are worried about the cause, then go see your doctor. I can only tell you common possible causes, as above. It does not matter how many times you ask me about HIV, the answer is the same.