Dr Basu
Dr Basu, Experienced Specialist
Experience:  MD
23744323

I have a question about v rapid Test from the health

Customer Question

Hello Doctor , I have a question about Hiv rapid Test from the health department can you tell me what would give a false negative thank you
Category: HIV and AIDS
Expert:  Dr Basu replied 1 year ago.

Hi there,

False negative HIV tests are mroe common with third generation HIV antibody tests.

The most common cause can be due to the Acute HIV infection-- the time between the transmission and seroconversion.

Also the test may not be geared to detect certain subtypes of HIV virus.

Some patients may turn seronegative after initial positive reaction due to the deteriorating immune system --hence of lack of adequate antibodies to cause positive HIV antibody test.

Best wishes,
It was my pleasure to help you today.
If I have answered all your questions, Please rate my response Excellent (click on the smiley faces) under this chat box only.
Please bookmark my profile for asking further questions!
This is the link to my profile:
http://www.justanswer.com/medical/expert-mysticdoc/

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Dr I am asking you about the new Hiv test with alere combo rapid test i belive it is the forth generation . I was tested last week and did not have any sex or drug use or any contact with blood or people for the last 5 years . is that test accurate thank you . i did not understand what you said

Expert:  Dr Basu replied 1 year ago.

I gave you the answer to the question on false negative test.

Those are the causes of false negative test--not at all common.

The test you mentioned is sensitive more than 99%.

So the test is accurate in more than 99% cases.

The risk of false negative is less than 1%

Best wishes

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

so what are the causes of false negative . did you mean the window period? if that is what you meant so is five years with out any contact with people is long enough . if i had any contact with any one before 2009 would this test I took at the health department would have been positive if i had it thank you