Dr Uzair
Dr Uzair, Doctor
Experience:  MBBS, FCPS (R) General Surgery. Years of experience in Emergency Medicine.
27273415

Dr, I don't really know what should I believe now...

Customer Question

Hello dr,
I don't really know what should I believe now...
I have done today 3 HIV test, 2 of them who we're equivocal (this were at the same lab, and they were sending the test to a bigger lab for confirmation) and another one who was negative at other lab.
I have done at list 50 hiv tests which turned out to be negative, in this tests we can include p24, antibody/24, ECLIA, ELISA, 7 HIV PCR TEST (came bak undetectable or below 20 copies, different labs) last test of PCR was 2 weeks ago, 1 western blot that came out negative for all bands.
The PCR were done for HIV 1 only...
What test do you suggest at this time... I'm at 10 months post exposure...
Do you think it can be HIV2 type? Are there any bands in HIV 1 Western Blot the interfere with HIV2?
Thank you a lot
Category: HIV and AIDS
Expert:  Dr Uzair replied 1 year ago.
Hi and thanks for the query.
If you have had so many negatives and it has been 10 months post exposure, I would suggest that you do not concern yourself with being positive for HIV. You do not have it according to your tests, Western blot is confirmatory and in your case it rules out HIV; it has a very high specificity and sensitivity.
Hope this helps.
Please do leave a positive rating for the service.
Best.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Ye, but what about the equivocal test?
Why this 2 were equivocal? I have tested negative at there last week and came out negative... My wife tested there today and it came out negative...
I don't know what I need to do more seriously ... I'm do confused and depressed at the same time...
Expert:  Dr Uzair replied 1 year ago.
Once, a PCR and a western blot have confirmed a negative, then ELISA or kit equivocal can be rejected. ELISA tests have a false positive incidence, that is why confirmation is based on PCR and western blot.
Hope this helps.
Best.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Hello dr,
The wester Blot was performed almost 4 months ago at 6.25 months post exposure, the last PCR test performed in Germany and it was 2 weeks ago, the 2 equivocal tests for antibody with an ECLIA method were performed today, also today I had a negative HIV test at another clinic
This is my biggest issue ...
My exposure was receiving oral sex from a sex worker... But every since I had all the HIV symptoms that is why I have tested that much...
It will really be a miracle to do not have this virus after all the symptoms...
Expert:  Dr Uzair replied 1 year ago.
I think you should go with the negative tests as getting a false negative is almost impossible and that too so many times. Getting an equivocal does not mean you have HIV, it only means that the test should be done again or should be confirmed with a better test like PCR or western blot.
Hope this helps.
Best.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
So your suggestion at this point is another PCR and another Western Blot?
Thank you
Expert:  Dr Uzair replied 1 year ago.
No, my suggestion is to not go for another test at this point since you have not had any new exposure and your previous exposure has been ruled out for any positives.
Hope this helps.
Best.