Dr. Rick, MD
Dr. Rick, MD, Board Certified MD
Experience:  20+ years as a doctor. Internal Medicine Internship in NYC
48069651

I had unprotected vaginal sex with a new partner

Customer Question

I had unprotected vaginal sex with a new partner just over a week ago now. After we had sex I was a bit bloated and had very bad cramps the whole week after. One week after the intercourse I started getting hot flashes and the next night I had a mild fever. It mostly comes in short flashes, but now (day 3 of the hot flashes) its pretty much gone.
I spoke with a representative at the HIV clinic in my city and he said that a fever within one week was too soon after to be due to HIV infection.
I am just very scared right now and cannot think of anything else. Can you help please.
Is it true that you can have sex with an infected partner and not become infected?
Also, do you think my symptoms are due to HIV? Or would one week be too early for it to have any symptoms?
Thank you!
Category: HIV and AIDS
Expert:  Dr. Rick, MD replied 1 year ago.
Hi. My name is***** and I am online and available to help you today. Thank you for your patience.
Question and answer is just one of the services I offer. I can also provide you with additional services, such as live telephone or skype consultation, at a small additional cost. Let me know if you are interested.
The person at the HIV clinic is absolutely correct: There is no way that your symptoms are in anyway related to having caught HIV.
And, yes, it is true that you can have unprotected penile/vaginal sex with a HIV positive person and not catch HIV....although I'd not recommend it.
So. What is the take home message?
You are not having symptoms of HIV infection. You are most likely OK.
Here is a very good article from a highly respected source that you might find helpful:
http://www.amfar.org/about-hiv-and-aids/hiv-testing/a-practical-guide-to-getting-tested-for-hiv/
Does this make sense to you?
Don't forget to mash the positive feedback button for me...the one labeled "excellent" is the most fun to push by far ;)
It's safe for you to press the positive feedback button now if you so desire. And, never fear, even after you press that button I don't go up in a puff of smoke -- I'll still be right here to continue helping you, but, as I do work for tips, I want to make sure you are happy before rating me.
Dr. Rick MD FACS