Dr. David, Other
Experience:  Experienced physician
41363181

I had unprotected sex with a man (I inserted my penis into

Customer Question

I had unprotected sex with a man (I inserted my penis into his anus) with a man's who's hiv status is unknown. I'm not sure what I should do? I inserted my penis into his anus using only saliva as lubricant. It was quite rough. Penetration lasted for less
than probably two minutes and I did ejaculate. The sexual contact occurred about 11 hours ago. What are my options?
Category: HIV and AIDS
Expert:  Dr. David replied 1 year ago.
This is Dr. David
insertive unprotected anal intercourse with an HIV positive person has about a 6.5 in 10,000 chance of you contracting HIV from him.
you should see your doctor and talk about HIV testing like an HIV DNA or RNA PCR testing which can be done 10-20 days post exposure.
you can also talk about post exposure prophylatic HIV therapy which can decrease the chances of you contracting HIV. it is best to start this within 72 hours of exposure.
you can see a doctor at the ER or at a planned parenthood center or HIV center.
you have options to treat with post exposure prophylaxis to help decrease the chances of you converting to HIV.
the chances of you contracting HIV are still small, but not zero.
let me know if you have questions