TheBugDoctor
TheBugDoctor, Doctor (MD)
Experience:  I am a Board Certified Infectious Diseases physician with many years experience treating a broad range of infectious diseases.
13956133

I'm a 29 year old male. Was casually dating a girl

Customer Question

I'm a 29 year old male. Was casually dating a girl for several weeks.
Physical contact consisted of: deep/french kissing (a few sessions, say half an hour each) and my kissing of her breast/nipple for several minutes. No other physical contact.
At the time of kissing, I had a cut in the front/middle of my lip. Quite fresht - lips were chapped and some dry skin etc peeled off.
In these circumstances what is the risk of contracting HIV and other STDs (syphilis, herpes etc)?
Thanks
Category: HIV and AIDS
Expert:  TheBugDoctor replied 1 year ago.
Your risk of contracting an STD from her would be negligible.
If all you did was kissing, including her breasts, there would be essentially 0 risk of HIV
The risk for syphilis would be practically zero- only theoretically if she was infected with a syphilitic lesion in her mouth- generally an ulcer which I suspect you would see.
HSV is a virus the majority of people have- it is the virus that causes cold sores, as well as genital herpes- potentially if she were infected with HSV and you were not, you could contract HSV kissing.
Your risks are minimal for significant STDs and without symptoms no testing would be indicated for you
I hope that helps
Please provide a ranking to my response if this answered your question
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thanks. For HIV, the fact that I had a cut lip doesn't change the risk profile - access to bloodstream?Haven't really had symptoms although seem to have mildly swollen lymph nodes in armpits. It's 2 weeks after the events discussed.
No it does not- kissing her and just being exposed to her saliva would NOT put you at risk for HIV
No further testing would be needed
Please supply a rating if this answers your question