TheBugDoctor
TheBugDoctor, Doctor (MD)
Experience:  I am a Board Certified Infectious Diseases physician with many years experience treating a broad range of infectious diseases.
13956133

I wanted to inquire about additional confirmatory testing.

I wanted to inquire about additional confirmatory testing. I was having protected receptive homosexual anal sex when the condom broke and ejaculation may or may not have occurred. The insertive individual claimed to be HIV negative. Nine days after the exposure, I received a HIV-1 RNA test, which was <20 copies/mL. Ten days after the exposure, the insertive partner tested negative with a OraQuick test. Twenty-eight days after the exposure, I received a fourth generation ARCHITECT HIV Ag/Ab Combo Assay, which was non-reactive for both antibodies and p24 antigen. I have been assured that the results are conclusive, but I am understandably very anxious. Should any more confirmatory testing be performed?

Hello-

Overall, it is highly unlikely you have been infected or exposed.

The only possible concern would be if your partner was in the "window' period at the time he had his rapid OraQuck- That test may have a window up to 1-3 months.

Of the testing you had, the PCR RNA generally has a window of a couple weeks- so a test at 9 days is not definitive. The 28 day antibody test- likely has a sensitivity 90-95%.

So again, if you put all these negatives together- highly unlikely you are infected-

But If the partner had JUST been infected and was in the window, I suppose theoretically it is possible your PCR and antibody tests were done too soon to show up.. Unlikely but not impossible.

I would retest you at 3 months post exposure with an antibody test- If that was still negative, I would not do further testing and would reassure you further.

Always ask if you need clarification/more information.

If I have answered your question, please click the ACCEPT button so I can get credit for my work.

POSITIVE feedback & a BONUS are warmly appreciated.
Please note that answers are for information only, do not take the place of an IN PERSON assessment by your doctor,
and does not establish a patient-physician relationship.