TheBugDoctor
TheBugDoctor, Doctor (MD)
Experience:  I am a Board Certified Infectious Diseases physician with many years experience treating a broad range of infectious diseases.
13956133

Can you get opportunistic diseases (such as thrush) during

Can you get opportunistic diseases (such as thrush) during the asymptomatic stage of HIV?
Category: HIV and AIDS
Expert:  TheBugDoctor replied 4 years ago.

Hello-

It is semantics, but if one has thrush, then one is not asymptomatic.

Thrush becomes more common the lower the CD4 count is- that is the more weakened the immune system is- It occurs with a CD4 under 500- but becomes more severe and recurs more often the lower the CD4 ( unless anti-fungal therapy is given). It can also occur with initial infection.

But there are many other causes of thrush aside form HIV- including use of antibiotics, use of steroids ( both pills and inhaled steroids), diabetes and others.

There are other HIV related conditions one can get during earlier stages of HIV- like bacterial pneumonia, Tuberculosis and lymphoma- But again, this would make the person "symptomatic'.

I hope that helps.

Always ask if you need clarification/more information.

If I have answered your question, please click the ACCEPT button so I can get credit for my work.

POSITIVE feedback & a BONUS are warmly appreciated.
Please note that answers are for information only, do not take the place of an IN PERSON assessment by your doctor,
and does not establish a patient-physician relationship.