TheBugDoctor
TheBugDoctor, Doctor (MD)
Experience:  I am a Board Certified Infectious Diseases physician with many years experience treating a broad range of infectious diseases.
13956133

What does the HIV rash look like and when does it often occur?

What does the HIV rash look like and when does it often occur? I expereienced a rash above my collar bone that looked like a bunch of little red bumps in one area about the size of my hand. I have darker skin and the color red was pretty bright. Does this sound like it could be the HIV rash?

The rash from HIV infection usually occurs a couple weeks after infection. It is usually flat red spots that are all over the body- not just in one area above your collar bone as you describe.

It also is usually associated with fevers, headaches and enlarged/ tender lymph nodes in the neck and elsewhere.

If you have had a high risk unprotected sexual exposure, you should be tested- but your description is not likely to be a primary HIV infection rash.

Good luck.

Always ask if you need clarification/more information.

If I have answered your question, please click the ACCEPT button so I can get credit for my work.

POSITIVE feedback & a BONUS are warmly appreciated.
Please note that answers are for information only, do not take the place of an IN PERSON assessment by your doctor,
and does not establish a patient-physician relationship.