TheBugDoctor, Doctor (MD)
Experience:  I am a Board Certified Infectious Diseases physician with many years experience treating a broad range of infectious diseases.

how soon can i find out if i have been infected with h.i.v

how soon can i find out if i have been infected with h.i.v after having unprotected sex, i did one test two months after then five months after the other day a on the spot test. i was with someone and we broke up and leaving she told me that she was h.i.v positive.
Category: HIV and AIDS
Expert:  TheBugDoctor replied 4 years ago.

The "window period" between infection until a reliable HIV test is positive is usually 4-6 weeks. By 3 months it is close to 99%. Some recommend repeat testing at 6 months, but if you are indeed negative at 4 months post exposure, I would certainly reassure you.

( Of course this is assuming you have not had any additional exposures in the interval time. )

Good luck.

Always ask if you need clarification/more information.

If I have answered your question, please click the ACCEPT button so I can get credit for my work.

POSITIVE feedback & a BONUS are warmly appreciated.
Please note that answers are for information only, do not take the place of an IN PERSON assessment by your doctor,
and does not establish a patient-physician relationship.