TheBugDoctor, Doctor (MD)
Experience:  I am a Board Certified Infectious Diseases physician with many years experience treating a broad range of infectious diseases.

Hi 5 weeks ago, a had an unprotected sex with someone of unknown

Hi 5 weeks ago, a had an unprotected sex with someone of unknown HIV status. Im so eager to know whether I did catch hiv or not. I did go through ARV'S for the whole month.Is it advisable that I take an antibody HIV test now? How accurate will it be?
Category: HIV and AIDS
Expert:  TheBugDoctor replied 5 years ago.

After an exposure, I generally advise testing at baseline, then at 4-6 weeks, then 3 months , then 6 months.

Your risk is likely low, if you don't even know your partner's status ( if he was negative, your risk is 0), plus you took anti-viral therapy for PEP.

If you became infected, a test at about 1 month is close to 95% accurate. By 3 months this is over 99%. So I would test in the next week or so- but still repeat it in 2 months for a confirmation.

Good luck.

Always ask if you need clarification/more information.

If I have answered your question, please click the ACCEPT button so I can get credit for my work.

POSITIVE feedback & a BONUS are warmly appreciated.
Please note that answers are for information only, do not take the place of an IN PERSON assessment by your doctor,
and does not establish a patient-physician relationship.