TheBugDoctor
TheBugDoctor, Doctor (MD)
Experience:  I am a Board Certified Infectious Diseases physician with many years experience treating a broad range of infectious diseases.
13956133

Can you add an HIV test to someones routine blood tests without

Can you add an HIV test to someones routine blood tests without their permission?

No- HIV is not tested without your knowledge.

Most states ( but not all) no longer require written consent - which used to be standard.

But verbal consent is still required- in other words, the doctor that orders the test has to talk to you about it and you have to agree to be tested.

Otherwise, it should not be run.

I hope that helps.

Always ask if you need clarification/more information.

If I have answered your question, please click the ACCEPT button so I can get credit for my work.

POSITIVE feedback & a BONUS are warmly appreciated.
Please note that answers are for information only, do not take the place of an IN PERSON assessment by your doctor,
and does not establish a patient-physician relationship.

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Does it have to be the doctor that obtains the permission or would the phlebotomist be sufficient.
Also what if you say you do not want the test run. Can they run it anyway if they told you? Do you need a permission or just to let them know?

Phlebotomists do not order tests and do not obtain consents from patients.

The phlebotomist is essentially the technician only.

The doctor should be the one who informs you about HIV testing- whether that happens in real life is another story- I ALWAYS discuss this with patients ( or their medical decision maker) before HIV testing. It would be inappropriate not to. Now, a PA or RN or NP may be appropriate to discuss this before testing in place of a doctor- but I would not pass this obligation to a phlebotomist however.

And they would need your permission- If you explicitly decline for some reason, it would be considered assault to run your blood anyways for a test you already declined.