imdr06
imdr06, Doctor (MD/DO)
Experience:  I am a certified HIV Specialist/Physician as well as board-certified Internist. I have a large HIV practice.
37530465

Should a person be showing symptoms of ARS 4 - 5 months after

Should a person be showing symptoms of ARS 4 - 5 months after last exposure?

I really need to know

Thanks
Category: HIV and AIDS
Expert:  imdr06 replied 5 years ago.
Hi
No, one would not show ARS symptoms 4-5 months after exposure. Seroconversion occurs within 3 months and ARS 3 weeks after exposure, give or take a week.

Dr. Sciberras
Customer: replied 5 years ago.

Doc, told you I tested neg using the FDA approved oral rapid HIV test after 4+ months from last exposure....still have oral thrush (3 days of magic mouth wash no affect)...

#1 any suggestions?

#2 they say test accuracy is 99.8% for negative results and the error comes in for folks under the 3 months from last exposure...sound right to you?

Expert:  imdr06 replied 5 years ago.

#1 your doctor can prescribe oral diflucan.

2.yes, that is correct.

best of luck!

dr. sciberras

Customer: replied 5 years ago.

Dear Doctor Sciberras,

Very sorry for bothering you again, but it seems events are not allowing me to put this issue to rest. I am losing sleep over something my Primary Care physician told me last Thurs. I had blood drawn on last week and the test ordered was the RNA PCR test, early detection of antobodies since I thought I was going through ARS. Next day Friday, GF tested neg.....so, now I thought I had advanced HIV or AIDS due to case of Thrush and other symptoms I have gotten over past month. I went in Sat and had FDA approved OralQuick Rapid HIV 1 & 2 test......I told you my reults were negative.....I looked at calendar and it was 22 weeks plus a day or two since my last possible exposure from old GF. And we were not that active last month or two of our relationship.

Everything I read says Thrush is good indicator of HIV or AIDS in adults.

Here are my questions:

1. Have you ever dealt with patients who had symptoms of HIV (Thrush etc) and were HIV negative?

2. If my Thrush was caused by HIV or AIDS wouldn't the test have been positive at 5 months?

3. The lab has had my blood for 3 days now, wouldn't they be able to run the RNA PCR test by now? my Dr's words keep echoing in my head...the longer it takes to get results, the worse it maybe..

4. Finally, would you consider 5 month HIV test being negaitive, a definitive answer that a person is HIV free?

Again, I am sorry for coming back to you, but have lost sleep last few days over these lingering issues.

thank you

Expert:  imdr06 replied 5 years ago.

1. yes there are plenty of cases of thrush that are not hiv related. i see it all the time,

2. your test would have been positive by then yes.

3. the RNA PCR takes 2 weeks to run, it is a very comples test.

4. yes, negative antibody at 5months means hiv-free. there is no need to worry.

i am still on vacation so please be patient with my replies, i am not always near an internet cafe.

dr. sciberras

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
not sure how I can ever thank you for addressing my concerns.....thank you
Customer: replied 5 years ago.

OK Doctor, I lied, one more paranoid question

Since I started symtoms four months after last exposure, is it possible it is/was delayed ARS and this would throw off my 5 month HIV test with false-neg since antibodies may not have devolped at 5 month point? last one I promise

Expert:  imdr06 replied 5 years ago.

No not possible.

Dr. S.

Customer: replied 5 years ago.

Doc,

Most important question I never asked....have you in your professional life known of any cases where individual seroconverted after 5 months other than the HCWs who had needle stick injury and were co-infected with HCV and HIV (AIDs patients)?

thanks

Expert:  imdr06 replied 5 years ago.
No. I do not know anyone that seroconverted after 3 months, regardless of hepatitis status.

Please understand I'm still on vacation and can't always reply rt away.

Dr. S.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
No more questions from me.....thank you and take care....you have helped me tremendously
Customer: replied 5 years ago.

Dr. S.,

Education questions:

Regardless of Symptoms before or after a 90 day HIV antibody test (FDA approved Oral Quick HIV 1 & 2 Test), a negative test at 90 days would be conclusive a person is HIV negative? Correct?

Thank you once again!

Expert:  imdr06 replied 5 years ago.

Yes, a negative test at 90 days is conclusive and means you are HIV negative.

I would try and seek professional help for your anxiety relating to this matter, as I can see it still continues to bother you greatly.

Dr. Sciberras

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
I know Doc, very concerned I brought this into my new marraige from previous GF..... I know I need therapy....my RNA PCR results come in this week....just freaked they may come back bad even though 5 month test was neg.....sorry for bothering you but your answers have actully allowed me to actually sleep at night sometimes!
Customer: replied 5 years ago.

Doc,

Lab screwed up my RNA PCR test..not enough sample to test after they did all the other tests...well it was 5 months after last exposure anyways, so not the best test anyways..so I went and got another OralQuick Rapid HIV test 1 & 2 (FDA test)...it was negative at day 165......question, no matter what my risk may have been,

I would have shown up at 90 days regardless of RISK on test if I was pos, right? this should end for me

Expert:  imdr06 replied 5 years ago.
Yes you would have shown positive by 90 days. Again, you are safe and free of HIV.

Dr. Sciberras