HIV and AIDS
Ask a HIV and AIDS Question, Get an Answer ASAP!
Doc, told you I tested neg using the FDA approved oral rapid HIV test after 4+ months from last exposure....still have oral thrush (3 days of magic mouth wash no affect)...
#1 any suggestions?
#2 they say test accuracy is 99.8% for negative results and the error comes in for folks under the 3 months from last exposure...sound right to you?
#1 your doctor can prescribe oral diflucan.
2.yes, that is correct.
best of luck!
Dear Doctor Sciberras,
Very sorry for bothering you again, but it seems events are not allowing me to put this issue to rest. I am losing sleep over something my Primary Care physician told me last Thurs. I had blood drawn on last week and the test ordered was the RNA PCR test, early detection of antobodies since I thought I was going through ARS. Next day Friday, GF tested neg.....so, now I thought I had advanced HIV or AIDS due to case of Thrush and other symptoms I have gotten over past month. I went in Sat and had FDA approved OralQuick Rapid HIV 1 & 2 test......I told you my reults were negative.....I looked at calendar and it was 22 weeks plus a day or two since my last possible exposure from old GF. And we were not that active last month or two of our relationship.
Everything I read says Thrush is good indicator of HIV or AIDS in adults.
Here are my questions:
1. Have you ever dealt with patients who had symptoms of HIV (Thrush etc) and were HIV negative?
2. If my Thrush was caused by HIV or AIDS wouldn't the test have been positive at 5 months?
3. The lab has had my blood for 3 days now, wouldn't they be able to run the RNA PCR test by now? my Dr's words keep echoing in my head...the longer it takes to get results, the worse it maybe..
4. Finally, would you consider 5 month HIV test being negaitive, a definitive answer that a person is HIV free?
Again, I am sorry for coming back to you, but have lost sleep last few days over these lingering issues.
1. yes there are plenty of cases of thrush that are not hiv related. i see it all the time,
2. your test would have been positive by then yes.
3. the RNA PCR takes 2 weeks to run, it is a very comples test.
4. yes, negative antibody at 5months means hiv-free. there is no need to worry.
i am still on vacation so please be patient with my replies, i am not always near an internet cafe.
OK Doctor, I lied, one more paranoid question
Since I started symtoms four months after last exposure, is it possible it is/was delayed ARS and this would throw off my 5 month HIV test with false-neg since antibodies may not have devolped at 5 month point? last one I promise
No not possible.
Most important question I never asked....have you in your professional life known of any cases where individual seroconverted after 5 months other than the HCWs who had needle stick injury and were co-infected with HCV and HIV (AIDs patients)?
Regardless of Symptoms before or after a 90 day HIV antibody test (FDA approved Oral Quick HIV 1 & 2 Test), a negative test at 90 days would be conclusive a person is HIV negative? Correct?
Thank you once again!
Yes, a negative test at 90 days is conclusive and means you are HIV negative.
I would try and seek professional help for your anxiety relating to this matter, as I can see it still continues to bother you greatly.
Lab screwed up my RNA PCR test..not enough sample to test after they did all the other tests...well it was 5 months after last exposure anyways, so not the best test anyways..so I went and got another OralQuick Rapid HIV test 1 & 2 (FDA test)...it was negative at day 165......question, no matter what my risk may have been,
I would have shown up at 90 days regardless of RISK on test if I was pos, right? this should end for me