TheBugDoctor
TheBugDoctor, Doctor (MD)
Experience:  I am a Board Certified Infectious Diseases physician with many years experience treating a broad range of infectious diseases.
13956133

I have been experiencing the classic HIV servoconversion period

I have been experiencing the classic HIV servoconversion period symptoms these last few weeks, except for the enlarged lymph nodes, weight loss and night sweats. The encounter that has me worried was about 50 days ago. Last week I I had both an antibody and a pcr DNA tests, both negative. Could they have have possibly been false? The symptoms including diarrhea, anxiety, muscle an joint aches, coated tongue, headaches, brain fog, fevers and general malaise persist. Uti screening was clean, negative for syphilis, but do have herpes. Can outbreaks be blisterless and express in a manner similar to new HIV infection?
Category: HIV and AIDS
Expert:  TheBugDoctor replied 5 years ago.

Hello-

On average a PCR becomes positive by about 10-14 days- so if it was negative at 50 days, that makes HIV quite unlikely. Not completely impossible, but it would be very unlikely that this is HIV. We generally recommend follow up testing at 3 months- so you should have your blood tests repeated then.

As far as the HSV- yes, some people do have serologic evidence of infection, but no active blisters- In fact more people have asymptomatic infection than those that do have blisters- Unfortunately even without symptoms, if you are infected, you can shed virus and infect others with HSV even when you are not aware of it.

I hope that helps.

Good luck.

Always ask if you need clarification/more information.

POSITIVE feedback & a BONUS are warmly appreciated.
Please note that answers are for information only, do not take the place of an IN PERSON assessment by your doctor,
and does not establish a patient-physician relationship.

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Thank you. I should also I suppose mention that I used std alert.com/labcorp to do the tests, should I be concerned about the integrity of these tests? And to clarify, all the symptoms that I mentioned including the 2 week diarrhea could be caused be an hsv outbreak? I've had hsv for about 20 years

I would not be concerned about the quality - Labcorp is a very reliable lab. I would trust their results.

I doubt the diarrhea is from HSV- The other symptoms may be from just another run of the mill routine viral infection you picked up.

Good luck.