TheBugDoctor
TheBugDoctor, Doctor (MD)
Experience:  I am a Board Certified Infectious Diseases physician with many years experience treating a broad range of infectious diseases.
13956133

Have tested for two years with HIV 1/0/2 antibodies ICMA, done

Have tested for two years with HIV 1/0/2 antibodies ICMA, done an RNA PCR, and Elisa and Western blot, and an HIV-2 test; all negative. Have had numerous tell-tale symptomatology of HIV. Have seen two infectious disease doctors and gotten the same tests from them.
My questions is: Could I have a rare strand of HIV that is not detected in these tests, and if so what test can be done to put this to rest?
Have you also had a CD4 count checked?
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
No.

It would be extremely uncommon to have a strain of HIV that is not detected by all those tests and PCRs.

Yes there have been a couple case reports- mainly from infections contracted in Africa, that are not detected by our common tests. But they would show significant immunosupression- with a low CD4 count.

Frankly it is highly unlikely you have any form of HIV- but if you have had an uncommon sexual exposure from with someone from Africa- that is something to consider, and be tested for you CD4 count.

Good luck

Always ask if you need clarification/more information.

POSITIVE feedback & a BONUS are warmly appreciated.
Please note that answers are for information only, do not take the place of an IN PERSON assessment by your doctor,
and does not establish a patient-physician relationship.

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
My incident occurred during clinical rotation. One was a Latin patient and the other a woman of European descent. Do not know if they had had any sexual exposure with someone from Africa. They were not even tested. Needless to say, would a CD4 rule out HIV infection? I have been ill with everything you can think of for two years.

It would only say if you had advanced immunosupression.

Have your illnesses been those seen in immune suppressed patients?

Overall, again it sounds like you do not have HIV-

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Yeast infection twice, diarrhea, distended abdomen, pharyngitis, continuous pharyngitis and canker sores. It started with burning eyes, then throat, then a feeling of malaise... very much like mononucleosis.

None of those suggest immunosupression.

They could be related to EBV, CMV or other causes of mononucleosis.

Again, I am not suspicious for HIV given your multiple negative tests.

Good luck.

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Thank you for the delicacy in your wording. However, my daughter had similar symptoms, was tested for mono and EBV and results were negative. I, on the other hand, was never tested for those. As to my children, I have not tested them, nor do I want to. I thought my being tested would have been enough. I can't understand why all other physicians dismiss it as if nothing. Of course, I do not except a reply to this last comment. It's just my thoughts.

Good luck.