TheBugDoctor
TheBugDoctor, Doctor (MD)
Experience:  I am a Board Certified Infectious Diseases physician with many years experience treating a broad range of infectious diseases.

Im a bisexual male concerned about my risk for HIV, Hepatitis

Customer Question

I'm a bisexual male concerned about my risk for HIV, Hepatitis B and C or other infections after having a sexual encounter with a male sex worker. The exposure involved french kissing and oral sex. When I performed oral sex on this indivdual it was only for a few seconds, I stopped this activity before he ejaculated. There were no open sores on his penis and I have none in my mouth to my knowledge. The sex worker then performed oral sex on me for a few seconds before I had the good sense to put on a condom. I've been immunized against Hepatitis B. Should I get tested for something or just chalk it up to an experience that taught me an important life lesson. Thanks for your expertise.
Category: HIV and AIDS
Expert:  TheBugDoctor replied 3 years ago.

Hello-

The exposures you describe are quite low risk overall.

First off- if you have been vaccinated for Hepatitis B ( and responded to the vaccine( up to 10-20% of people do not), then you have no risk of Hepatitis B.

The exposures you describe would not be risky for Hepatitis C- Hep C can be transmitted sexually- but predominantly with anal sex/ mucosa injury/ exchange of blood.

HIV would also be very uncommon- kissing is not generally a risk for HIV, and oral sex is generally rather safe- the risk with oral sex is likely under 1 in 10 000.

There is some risk for gonorrhea, or syphilis ( and much less for chlamydia) with oral sex- especially if you develop a sore throat I would be tested for these organisms.

To reassure yourself, you can certainly be tested for HIV- but the risk is extremely low.

Good luck.

Always ask if you need clarification/more information.

If I have answered your question, please click the ACCEPT button so I can get credit for my work.

POSITIVE feedback & a BONUS are warmly appreciated.
Please note that answers are for information only, do not take the place of an IN PERSON assessment by your doctor,
and does not establish a patient-physician relationship.

TheBugDoctor, Doctor (MD)
Experience: I am a Board Certified Infectious Diseases physician with many years experience treating a broad range of infectious diseases.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Thank you for your response. If I were your patient, would you recommend an HIV test or would ordering the test function only to allay my anxiety? If the later is the case, I would choose not to do the test.

I would likely order the test, if only to completely reassure you.

Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Which HIV test is recommended and could it be done anonymously? If a condom is used properly, will it prevent HIV transmission during oral and anal sex? Thanks for you kind help!!
Expert:  TheBugDoctor replied 2 years ago.

I would recommend a standard HIV ELISA test- this can be done through any doctor's office, or any clinic.

There is an approved home test- "Home access" which is also highly accurate and reliable and involves you sending in a blood spot, and you are only identified by a code number.

http://www.homeaccess.com/HIV_Test.asp

Condoms are very effective, as long as they are used properly- before any exchange of secretions and without breakage.

Good luck.

Customer: replied 2 years ago.
How long after the possible exposure is it optimal to do the "home access" test? I have a friend who is a physician (not infectious disease specialist). What specific blood tests should I ask him to order to rule out syphilis, gonorrhea and chlamydia in the event that I develop a sore throat? You are a lifesaver, thanks...

Your friend the physician could order all the tests , including the HIV test if you wanted to go that way, rather than the mail in kit.

I would do an RPR and syphilis antibody for syphilis

For gonorrhea and chlamydia- I would do a throat swab only of you had a sore throat- and have it sent for gonorrhea and chlamydia PCR.

Hope that helps.

Customer: replied 2 years ago.
I've heard that the home access or conventional blood test for HIV may be falsely negative if done right after the presumed exposure. Should I wait a certain amount of time before getting an HIV test? Thanks again for your kindness...
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Yes, your response to the above question should wrap things up...

All HIV antibody tests can be negative if tested while in the 'window" period-

That is why we general test about 4-6 weeks after an exposure and then again about 3 months after the exposure.

But the first test- over 95% are positive ( that will be positive) and by 3 months well over 99% are.

Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Even though you estimate my risk of HIV to be very low, is there any medicine that I could take at this early stage to optimize my chances of not contracting HIV if I have been exposed? Should I also wait 4-6 weeks before doing the sypilis blood tests? Thanks...
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Your response to the above question is much appreciated.

No other medications at this point for PEP are needed.

I would test for syphilis also after a couple weeks.