TheBugDoctor
TheBugDoctor, Doctor (MD)
Experience:  I am a Board Certified Infectious Diseases physician with many years experience treating a broad range of infectious diseases.
13956133

hi i am very much worried about taking hiv test. I did not

Customer Question

hi i am very much worried about taking hiv test. I did not have unprotected sex with any one and also i did not have sex with anyone since last 2 years.Before 2 years i had sex with some lady but used condomn.Now i am married last month and i have to take hiv test because my wife is pregnant.But i am scared . please help me.is there a chance tha i am affected?
Also, i did not have any fever or any health problems till now.
based on u r experience, within how many years , it will take the symtoms to appear.
Category: HIV and AIDS
Expert:  TheBugDoctor replied 5 years ago.

Hi eric-

It sounds like the past couple years you have been at low risk- condoms are very effective when used properly, and so that contact you had 2 years ago is likely low risk.

Of course if you had unprotected sex with anyone else even before that, there is a risk of transmission.

Some people can be infected with HIV for many years without any symptoms, so any unprotected sex you have had, not just in the past couple years, is potentially at risk. On average it takes people 5-10 years to develop symptoms of advanced disease, but there is a range- some get severe symptoms soon after infection, some may not have any symptoms for over 10 years even.

Overall it sounds like you likely are low risk, but the only way to know for sure, and to reassure yourself is to just be tested.

Good luck.

Always ask if you need clarification/more information.

If I have answered your question, please click the ACCEPT button so I can get credit for my work.

POSITIVE feedback & a BONUS are warmly appreciated.
Please note that answers are for information only, do not take the place of an IN PERSON assessment by your doctor,
and does not establish a patient-physician relationship.

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
i never had unprotected sex with any one. I had sex but used condomns always and never broke.
but i am scared to take test.it is my life after all.
based on your experiene, have you seen cases with HIV with protection?
To make sure, i had not even kissed the lady i had sex with.also not touched any part of the lady.
i am having HIV phobia.i can't imagine of taking test.
based on your experience how early symptoms occur in people.I aksed other doctor in this community, said that it will be generally 1 to 2 years symptoms occur.
please help me take the test.

It would be extremely uncommon to have HIV transmission with proper condom usage- I have not seen this occur ( but of course it is not always easy to know exactly when someone became infected).

I agree, you do seem to have more phobia about than test, than is really meritted- You clearly are at low risk, but of course only being tested cab be completely reassuring.

Again, as far as symptoms- a significant proportion develop acute symptoms - within a couple weeks of infection. After that, some people may not have symptoms for years. I explained this in my last response.

Good luck.